Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Mentor

I have not been affected by the shiley situation until yesterday when I received my supplies and got a bivona trach instead of shiley. From what I have read they seem like a different trach but when I opened the packaged it looked similar. What is the main difference between the bivona and shiley, are they different sizes????IS it safe to just pop in a bivona instead of the shiley??? I will of course contact our orl first before doing so...

I am still ahead on trach changes and have about 4 shileys here, I have been stocking up on them and ordering faithfully in case my dme fell short (which I am assuming is what happened) thanks to the information you guys have posted about the shiley's. I would have otherwise been totally in the dark.

christina

LTR 03/22/2007
LTR 07/15/2008
decannulated, but uses CPAP while sleeping
Old 02-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Mentor

I'm not sure about the actual size (length), but they should be on the packages. Good thing to check with your doc too. The only difference is that the neck flanges are V'ed and the material is like PVC in Shileys and it's silicone in Bivona's. That's what I know at least. I don't like the v'ed flanges for Donovan.
Melisande H. Mother to The Preeminent Grand Poohba Donovan (5/27/03), still some "resolving" apnea, on the autism spectrum and some cerebellar malformations. Trached since he was 6 weeks old. Recently DECANNULATED 4/16/09!! Big brother to Conrad!

Old 02-07-2006, 10:31 AM

These are the differences I've noticed. First, the Bivonas seem more rubbery and bendy than the Shileys. Second, the flange is definitely more V shaped than straight across and lastly, the ENT told us that Sierra's 3.5 neo bivona is about 2 mm longer than the 3.5 Shiley that she had.

Foster mom to Sierra born July 16, 2005- CHARGE syndrome, grade IV kidney reflux, severe hearing loss, trach & gtube for laryngeal cleft and chronic aspiration, gorgeous blue eyes
Old 02-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Mentor

Send a message via AIM to twintotwin

C-
The Bivonas are softer and more pliable. I would think they'd be more comfortble than the Shiley.
We just switched back over to Shiley as per doctors orders (we had Shiley for first year then Bivona for 2 years)...
About Shileys, they are MUCH cheaper, it's not recommended by Shiley to reuse them although it's often done with good results (but w/Bivona you can reuse according to package).
As Melisande said, the V is more prominent in the Shiley. I know you can get either the staright across flanges in Bivona or the V.
I believe the V is causing more pressure sores on the boys.

Does anyone know if Shiley makes a straight flange? (who knows if they're making anything at all!)

I really love the Bivona, but our ENT prefers Shileys for whatever reason, I still don't know. Maybe trying to save us $$.

Edited to say: I am surprised they sent you a Bivona w/out a script. Ask your ENT before you use it, they might want to put it in themselves)

The Birthday Boys by TwinTransfusion, on Flickr
Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Mentor

I was confused to that they just sent the Bivona with no word from anyone. Max has a shiley right now. I checked on the package and the bivona 3.0 is 2mm longer and .2mm bigger on the outer diameter. So, seeing as Max is still on the small side I'm not sure if those measurments will make a difference or not...he has his bronch coming up in a month or so and I'm going to try and hold out switching til then, and that way maybe they can make the switch at that time and make sure he's ok.

Kerry- did the boys notice the difference with the bivonas vs. shiley?

LTR 03/22/2007
LTR 07/15/2008
decannulated, but uses CPAP while sleeping
Old 02-07-2006, 12:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to sassyangel4u2nv Send a message via Yahoo to sassyangel4u2nv

I started off with Shileys but with all the hoopla right now I have been switched to Bivona. I thought I would like the Bivona. Yes love the design and the flanges. But I did not like that Ericka can take them out easier. With the shiley's if it came out just a little bit I could push it back in. But with Bivona I have to get the obutator to put it back in. I am hoping that I will get Shiley back soon. I like Bivona but I feel I can not trust them. I want to be able to trust something that is to be helping my daughter and not hindering her breathing.
Dee, Mother of Ericka. D.O.B. 12/11/03...preemie at 27 wks gestation, GTube on 07/02/04. Trached 03/22/05Fundoplication/Nissen in 2005. Decanned 10/17/07!!!!!!!!The little hero is the one who melts my heart every day for all her accomplishments.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Mentor

Christina- I don't think they've noticed the difference.
We used the Bivona Flex Tend. It's extends the trach far beyond the neck so it can't be occluded by the chin. Plus for vent kids, the trach will bend with the vent tubing so it won't tug, making it less rigid.
Now I do notice Elijah occluding his Shiley often. He can move his chin away from it fast so I know it won't plug him. Kids that are not mobile might occlude.

Let me find a pic.....
ok, when this pic was taken, Elijah had a very chubby neck (left). You can see how the Shiley would have been occluded:

Here's a pic of them on the vent, you can see the flexibility in the Bivona Flex Tend:

Old 02-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Mentor

wow, they still have the same exact laughs! Can you even tell which one is Elijah on the bottom pic?

(on left again)

Old 02-07-2006, 01:34 PM

SO cute! So HAPPY!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:34 PM

Kerry, your boys are either INCREDIBLY happy or you are incredibly lucky to always catch them smiling! they are just awesome! I love wqhen yiou post their photos. Deb
trach-decanned for good in 2008, gtube, asthma, CP, MR, GERD, latex allergy, osteopenia, aplastic cerebellum, ADHD/OCD, 60 lbs of humor and fiest, 4'4" tall, patient at Shreveport Shriners Childrens Hospital,, and I may be leaving something out but she is happy and growing and the light of our lives! DECANNED 6-17-08
[IMG]
[IMG]