Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 06-25-2005, 08:13 PM
SCOLLINS

HI,
I was just needing some advice or wondering if this ever happened to any other parents. My daughter who is 1 year old has a trach and mickey button, I was finishing her bolus feed and clamped to mickey extension feeder cord and was about to take it off the mickey button and Lauren was sitting on part of it and pulled it. She is on bactrim right now for the mickey area being infected, she had a 2x2 under it, well I changed the 2x2 to look around the site and it had bright red blood around it. I am scared that it could be bleeding internally, should I take her to the ER? We don't have weekend nursing but I thought about calling her nurse at home and asking her what to do.

Thanks so much.

Staleena and Lauren
Old 06-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Mentor

Send a message via AIM to twintotwin

That has happened to us SEVERAL times on both of my sons. From what you've described it sounds like it's just a boo-boo from the stoma being aggravated. I don't think it calls for an ER visit...I doubt it is coming from inside her stomach (but this is just my opinion).
Once my son's Mickey was accidently ripped out and there was so much blood I saw stars. We put a fresh 2x2 on and the next day it healed.
I don't think you should worry...but see what others say.

Kerry

The Birthday Boys by TwinTransfusion, on Flickr
Old 06-25-2005, 08:35 PM

We have that happen whenever Brian pulls on it or it gets irritated. I would just watch it and change out the 2x2 more often tonight. I wouldn't worry unless it becomes a lot of blood.

B & C are surviving triplets. Brooke survived for 1 month.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to madelyn and rynns mom

As long as you only see a dot of bleeding, and as long as you get no large amounts of blood back through her feeding tube, she should be fine. Just reclean her site and put some triple antibiotic on it to help with the irritation. Hope this helps!!!!
Kris
Kris 3/24-26wk twin girls born 7/01 at 1lb15 & 1lb13. Rynn-trach. malacia, Grade 1 SGS, reflux, asthma, autism(high funct. Asperger's) & epilepsy. Madelyn-severe trach. malacia, Grade 3 SGS(Trached 10/21/01 to 11/20/11 DECANNED) ,PVL,BPD,CP,submucousal cleft,reflux, G-button(12/01), nissen X2, off vent '03.Two of the most Perfect Princesses! !!
Old 06-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Presley's Mom

We went through a similar experience just last week. ¬*Presley's feeding tube (the one you get before you get the mickey) was having ALOT of stomach secretions that had some blood with it. ¬*I had noticed that afternoon that it appeared her stomach was becoming swollen. ¬*And we could also tell she was irritated and did not feel good. ¬*Her tube had become dislodged (somehow?) in her tummy and was causing blockage between her intestines and bowels. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT..........she got her mickey button that night at the ER and everything has been fine ever since. ¬*

If your little girl starts acting like she does not feel good, THEN you get concerned. ¬*HECK.........We would not know what to do if Presely's mickey came out (besides hospital) because we have never been taught how to change it or what to do INCASE.....I AM JUST REALLY CAREFUL WITH IT UNTIL I LEARN HOW TO CHANGE IT. ¬*

DENISE
Old 06-26-2005, 08:31 AM

I agree with everyone else. We have had that happen to us several times from the stoma being irritated. I would just clean the site, put a gauze under and keep an eye on it. If it is alot of blood or if it doesn't seem like it is getting better then I would make a trip to the ER.

Brandin's g-tube fell out the other week. I didn't even know until I went to position him and he was soaked with formula. I freaked! Usually the day nurses change his g-tube so I have never had to do it! My fiancé and daughter had gone to the store so I was home alone and a nervous wreck! I just ran to the closet, grabbed a new one, lubricated it quickly, threw Brandin on the ground, took a deep breathe and put it in. I was so proud of myself until I realized....I forgot the water for the balloon...hahaha. As I am holding the g-tube with one hand and wiping the sweat from my forehead with the other my fiancé pulls into the garage.....perfect timing! He ran upstairs and finished the job. Everything turned out fine.

Lyshae
Old 06-26-2005, 10:48 AM

Usually bright red blood is superficial in nature (skin tear). If you notice brown or black substance in the tube or in the stool of your child then a problem has occured. Also, if the abdomen seems tender, distended or just uncomfortable, the a visit to a medical facility is warranted. Sometimes, a fever will appear, but not always.

Hang in there,

Dawna

Old 06-26-2005, 11:38 AM

Brian's mickey button came out twice in the last few weeks. Both times, the balloon had sprung a leak. I was thankful that I had been taught to put a new one in, so we didn't have to go to the hospital. I would definately make sure you know how. It is easy and saves a lot of time in the ER. I am now waiting on the DME to send me a replacement since I had to use 2 in a row. If it comes out before the new one arrives, we'll have to go the ER. I would stick the old one in and tape over it to hold the stoma open. At least that is what I have decided to do, if needed. My new one should be here by Wed., so hopefully it doesn't happen.

B & C are surviving triplets. Brooke survived for 1 month.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Mentor

Send a message via AIM to twintotwin

One great thing we discovered for the GT site...Calmoseptine. You can find it at any Duane Reade, Rite Aid, etc...or if they don't stock it try asking the pharmacist to order it. It's a tube of paste made up of calamine & zinc oxide. It works like a dream, and dries up the secretions around the site.
Good for poison ivy too.

Kerry

The Birthday Boys by TwinTransfusion, on Flickr
Old 06-26-2005, 11:43 PM
SCOLLINS

Thanks for all the wonderful and helpful advice.
Lauren seemed to be doing ok but around 3:00pm she started running 102.4 fever. My mom gave her tylenol and called the nurse, my husband and I were out of town at the time. I'm kinda of getting worried about her, but once the tylenol kicks in she is acting normal. Since she's on bactrim now, her ped may need to some lab work tomorrow to see if she needs another type of antibiotic? Her mickey area looks less red and I've been changing the 2x2 frequently, no more blood thank god! The nurse came over last night to take a look at it and again today, we're lucky to have her as a nurse, she's really getting attached to Lauren. I'll be so glad whenver Lauren learns to eat by mouth so she can get that mickey out. I think having that is worse than having a trach!! Well, I really appreciate everyone giving me advice and caring about my daughter!

Thanks.
staleena