Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 PM

We only get the HMEs with paper ends. What are the green adaptors? Karen
Karen, married to Charlie. Mom to Gilbete', Jeanette , Andrea, Ben, Ciara, Brian and Brady. Also mom to Alize who is with God. Grandmother to Marek, Paige, Vincent, Leilani and Cayden, Emma and Samuel.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 AM

The green adapters go on the paper ended HMEs that do not have an O2 Port. We found those to fall off all the time because our son would swat at it. Our O2 port HMEs also had paper ends and a suction port opening, you brought down this little door and you could put in the suction catheter. We never used that port though because we had inline suction. I have heard there are reusable HMEs with an O2 port also. I would ask your DME about the different options.

It is funny that we are having this conversation because we were at Disney the other day and there was this family getting on after us on the teacups and their child had a trach with the O2 being delivered by a mask and I couldn't believe they had it going that way since it was so easy doing it via the HME. I thought maybe their child didn't like wearing the HME and the parents didn't push it, but maybe they just didn't know there was other ways.