Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Default Question About Trachs

Lil D uses a Bivona 5.5 Pediatric Cuffed TTS trach. I have been going through the last box of randomness that came here and there were a bunch of trachs that are 5.5 and 5.0.

Some of them expired in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009. Also they look much different even though they are the same manufacturer. If the balloon is still good and the trach is unopened do they still need to be tossed? Is it a plastic breakdown issue or a sterility issue?

Also, there is this wedge thing in the package that is maybe 1.5 inches wide by 2 inches long and there is a U-shaped cutout in the middle of it. What is that for? His new ones don't have it.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 PM

the wedge might be to get the vent off it gets stuck on the trach? i hate when that happens.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 PM

The wedge is to remove the little clear plastic thing off. I forget why you would want to remove it, but i think it would be for cleaning and something else. The Bivonas changed to the new style by the time I started using them for Addy.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 PM

With the "old" style Bivonas (which I far prefer), the wedge was to disconnect the trach from the vent swivel/other circuit attachment, should they get too tightly attached. Over the years that Robin was on the vent 24/7, we did use the wedge several times. New ones don't have it....but then again, I don't like the new Bivona b/c for one reason, they don't stay attached as well. I'm not sure about the expiry issue - I can tell you that my nurses would freak out and not use anything that had an expired date, including suction catheters.....
Monica - mom of Vincent, Jeremy(and proud mother-in-law of Jasmine xo), Joey, Logan (17) and Robin (17) - trached since 11 months, vent (at night only since April '08), Bard button, O2 24/7, primary dx adenovirus causing scarring of lungs - hence, bronchiolitis obliterans.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:18 PM

I always used the wedge to remove the clear plastic part of the old trachs when cleaning them. The new trachs don't have them because the trach is made without the clear plastic thing.

Sorry, I don't know what the technical terms for the trach parts are.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:19 AM

The wedge takes off the clear part to sterilize when you clean the trach (if you reuse) it was also for getting the vent, hme, pmv ect off of the trach if it got stuck ~ I have used it multiple times to get hmes off ~ the new ones dont come with one, and they dont work with the newer style (there have been some complaints and problems with things getting stuck and the manufacturer has been made aware. ..but dont know if they will do anything about it. ) All our RTs at the hosp wear the wedge around their necks still..

I think the date is for the guarantee of sterility.. we have trachs that have been kept and boiled and reused for 4 yrs.. you can always call the 800 # for company and ask their thoughts on it.

Bivona changed their design about a year (year and half)ago- I know alot of people liked the old design (part where sits on stoma) alot better because it didnt pull so much~ our trach RT at the hospital special orders the old design becasue of this reason.
Lynn, mother of Brooke(19), Haely(17), Sydney(12)Dominic(1) and Joseph(DOB 11/03/06)DX:Jeune's/Sensenbrenner Syndrome:trach 12/12/06: CPAP sleeping/ Capped awake~Situs Inversus:Aortic Stenosis:Myocardial Hypertrophy:Kidney Transplant 08/18/10 http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/josephmollica
Old 02-19-2011, 07:30 AM

I think everyone covered the wedge. Personally, I wouldn't use a trach past expiration date. I believe it has to do with sterility - products are only guaranteed sterile to a certain date. You can, most likely, send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement. If you call them, I'm sure they will. Otherwise, you can inform your DME and make them replace the trachs.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Thanks everyone! I will see if the DME or manufacturer can replace the trachs. I think that the SNF just keeps everything for every kid ever because Lil D was in a 3.0 neo when some of these 5.0 and 5.5 trachs expired so they weren't sent for him and they just dumped the old ones on us!