Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Adult Tracheostomies

Adult Tracheostomies For individuals with tracheostomies and those involve in their care.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 AM

Default Portable Oxygen Concentrator

My son, Mark, is 24 years old and uses a stationary oxygen concentrator that runs at night and is hooked into his Bi-Pap system. I have seen ads for Portable oxygen concentrators that run on DC and rechargable batteries and say they can run for 8 hours at 3LPM. They weigh 10-17 pounds instead of the bizillion pounds our regular size concentrator weighs. I am looking for something like this to have in the car and to take with us when we go on vacation. Has anyone tried these and how did they work for you?? -Beth
Old 01-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Hi Beth. I had posed a question about portable concentrators a while back and received some good replies. That thread is at http://www.tracheostomy.com/forum/sh...+concentrators I haven't pursued it because of costs/not funded etc. Some of the units listed in that reply might be a starting point for you and I'm sure others will add on here.
Monica - mom of Vincent, Jeremy(and proud mother-in-law of Jasmine xo), Joey, Logan (17) and Robin (17) - trached since 11 months, vent (at night only since April '08), Bard button, O2 24/7, primary dx adenovirus causing scarring of lungs - hence, bronchiolitis obliterans.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 AM

We used one for travelling out of state, and used it pretty extensively here at home before convincing our DME to give us 50 foot oxygen tubes to run from the concentrator upstairs down into the living room.

We liked it - and wished we could convince the DME that they'd be more useful than a bigger concentrator and tanks. It's not any harder to transport than a tank,

The 2 key things about them are that you need to find one that does continous flow (most only do pulse flow, and the few that do continuous flow usually only go up to 3 liters, so they're not great for emergencies) and battery life.

Battery life is dependent on how much flow, so multiple batteries, and a cigarette lighter plug are a must.
Janet, crunchy pagan automotive engineer mom to Alexander, born at 27 weeks, 1 lb 7 oz | vent/trach/gtube @ 5 months for BPD | g-tube free 7/11, trach free 8/11. Also mom to Bethany born @ 28 weeks, 2 lbs | gtube @ 5 months | trach/vent @ 6 months for BPD, bronchomalacia
Old 01-30-2011, 09:52 PM

Hi.... we have used the portable O2 concentrator for flying. It is SOOOOO quiet!!! In addition, it doesn't heat up the room quite as much as the big ol' things. But if you are using continuous flow, the battery (we had the Eclipse) lasted just under 4 hrs on .5L. If you have the pulse flow, I believe they last longer.

Good luck!! I hope you can get one approved!

former 26 weeker -- 4/2006 -- trach, g-tube, nissen; came home 1/07 vented 24/7; Successfully decanned 8/8/2008 -
Follow decan at: http://sleepy-dogs.blogspot.com/