Nate started running a fever Sunday afternoon. He's been getting chills but he's not acting that sick. His nose is runny although it's not bad and it's clear, secretions are clear. Temp is running 100-104; 104 only at night. We're alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen and if I ask what hurts, I get a different answer every time.
I'm assuming regular kid gunk because his sats are 99-100. HR is up but not too extreme and seems true to form with his temp spikes (I mean, I never know what my typical son's HR is when he runs a fever-why freak out about Nate's if it's not hitting the limit on the pulseox?). Nurse wants to call the doctor but they're closed today because North Alabama shuts down at the slightest hint of snow and we have 8 inches. I'm not interested in talking to the ped on call because they won't have Nate's chart.
Of course, if the fever is still sticking around tomorrow I'll call but I hate having someone here to second guess my decision. I'm confident we don't need the doctor right now and they would just tell me to do what we're doing. So why am I writing this?! Our nurse is lovely but tends to over react. Plus, Nate is her preshus bahby which is usually great but when it comes to stuff like this, it makes me crazy. It doesn't help that my good friend said she doesn't understand how I can be so calm when his temp is so high, that she'd be freaking out. And my husband likes to freak out about these things as well so I'm on the defensive for when he gets home. It's like I have to talk everyone off the cliff and can't put my energy in to petting my baby.
That said, please validate me. Obviously if I felt it were something serious, I would call or take him to the hospital. In the almost 3 years he's had the trach, I've done pretty well in making sure he has the care he needs. I've gotten good at doing triage and reacting accordingly. (And if I need to take him to the hospital tonight I will edit this to redact it.