Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:25 PM

Smile Mrsa

Our Pulmo called today to tell us that Parker's trach cultures grew MRSA. Which means that he is now officially colonized.

I wanted to cry.

We have worked so hard to keep him safe and away from this.

I asked the Pulmo about treating this, and he said no, that in the long run trying to treat it now could make a flare up later worse.

But that seems odd to me.

Anyone else have a trached little one with MRSA in their trach.

What did you do?

Has anyone had a MRSA grow out in one culture, but later on it didn't grow out in a culture.

How worried should I be?

Cause I'm already a bit of a mess.

Tammy and Parker
www.prayingforparker.com
Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 AM

Mackenzie has grown ORSA once, but in the 6+ trach aspirits since then it hasn't shown up at all. It's common for kids w/trachs to grow one of the resistant staphs. Our Children's Hospital puts kids with MRSA/ORSA on contact precautions, and it aggrivates our pulmonologist as everyone has MRSA or ORSA on their skin.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:00 AM

All of my trached kids (4) have been colonized with MRSA. It's more common than you think. There is a difference between hospital acquired MRSA and community acquired MRSA with the community one being the more dangerous, virulent one. Unless there are symptoms, colonized MRSA isn't treated. Karen
Karen, married to Charlie. Mom to Gilbete', Jeanette , Andrea, Ben, Ciara, Brian and Brady. Also mom to Alize who is with God. Grandmother to Marek, Paige, Vincent, Leilani and Cayden, Emma and Samuel.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 AM

Hunter is colonized with mrsa... hospital acquired.... we use tobi inhalation on two weeks off two weeks, but that's only because when he flares with trachitis (which always seems to be caused by the mrsa) it makes him junky quick.
Melissa, mom of two great boys... Christian 8 yrs old and Hunter 2 yrs old... former 24 weeker(born at 15.3 oz, 11 inches); bpd, pulmonary hypertension(resolved), nissen/g-tube, off of o2 12/17/10, off the vent 6/30/10... DECANNULATED 12/17/10!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerMama View Post
Our Pulmo called today to tell us that Parker's trach cultures grew MRSA. Which means that he is now officially colonized.

I wanted to cry.

We have worked so hard to keep him safe and away from this.

I asked the Pulmo about treating this, and he said no, that in the long run trying to treat it now could make a flare up later worse.

But that seems odd to me.

Anyone else have a trached little one with MRSA in their trach.

What did you do?

Has anyone had a MRSA grow out in one culture, but later on it didn't grow out in a culture.

How worried should I be?

Cause I'm already a bit of a mess.

Tammy and Parker
www.prayingforparker.com
Hiya, Tammy. We didn't have MRSA, but we had Pseudo and one other that I have never remembered the moment after they say it. It is very common to leave these resistant infections untreated unless there are symptoms, or unless another infection is undrway and the doctors are worried that fighting the other infection will cause a flare.

If you worry too much about killing the MRSA now, while it is essentially just "sitting there," you run a real risk of having it replaced with an even more resistant strain.

Good to see you over here.
Alex born 6/19/2007, PRS, Trached and GTube at 3 weeks, palate repaired 12/20/2007, failed decannulation 5/7/08 due to undiagnosed suprastomal collapse, jaw distraction 9/9/08 (insertion) to 10/30/08 (removal). Single Stage LTP 2/17/09 and now member of the Naked Neck Club. Need a laugh? Check out http://itsallgoodtoday.blogspot.com/

Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to suzanne2545

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizesmom View Post
All of my trached kids (4) have been colonized with MRSA. It's more common than you think. There is a difference between hospital acquired MRSA and community acquired MRSA with the community one being the more dangerous, virulent one. Unless there are symptoms, colonized MRSA isn't treated. Karen
Pre (my) Parker (my trached kid) my middle son and husband battled community aquired MRSA and I do mean battled. My son was hospitalized with an abcess on his head. It scared the bejeebers out of me because at that time the only information out there about it was really depressing.

My Parker was colonized but never flared. I don't think if I were you I would worry too much about it.

I'll bet if they swabbed your nose you are colonized too.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Mentor

Ditto here. Donovan tested positive for MRSA, community acquired that wasn't resistant and he also had pseudomonas, which we eventually treated the pseudomonas. Donovan had a third swab to check for MRSA when we had an LP done a couple of weeks ago. He's had 2 negatives and a third, he can be cleared from precautions. We've never treated it and he's been trach-free for over a year now. Colonization is very, very common.
Melisande H. Mother to The Preeminent Grand Poohba Donovan (5/27/03), still some "resolving" apnea, on the autism spectrum and some cerebellar malformations. Trached since he was 6 weeks old. Recently DECANNULATED 4/16/09!! Big brother to Conrad!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 AM

Ike had a positive MRSA culture over a year ago. It was only for one month and then all subsequent cultures were clear. Until last month. He also had some other scary sounding things pop up in this last culture (like HiB), but the pulmo is not concerned (even though I freak out a little).

He says these are normal flora, and the only thing with the MRSA is that in any healthcare setting we will have to be in isolation with contact protocols, etc. This can actually be nice sometimes because after a bronch or a procedure you get a private recovery room. Always a bright side, right?

The only time we've ever treated for MRSA was when Ike contracted it through his central line in the ICU before he was trached. That was a real nightmare, but it was a different type of thing.

You can read about Ike - and other stuff - on my blog over at www.haikuoftheday.com.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 PM

Rylan has colonized MRSA in her trach and they did not treat it. Hers was also hospitalized aquired. She also had it in her eye, and Dakota had it in her nose!
[center]Stephanie, momma to Rylan & Dakota 31-wk twin girls (11.14.09), Rylan - colostomy (11.18.09), trach for SGS Grade III, tracheomalacia (1.08.10), had 2 masses removed from her airway (9/1/11 & 10/14/11), g-tube fed , VACTERL syndrome. Dakota - no strings or tubes!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 PM

Get this... back when the girls were born, Molly was sent to the big, bad city hospital... she came back (and Madeline had only been at our local hospital)... then they tested all of the kids in the NICU b/c some *other* kid was colonized... and they found that *Madeline* had been colonized and put on precautions (even though she never "had" it)

I'm sure we're *all* colonized, but they originally only tested their bums

MRSA is everywhere... I'm more concerned about the scary C. diff. that Molly got at Childrens Hospital back in the Spring... and it's resistant to sanitizer. Now *that's* scary!

Madeline 1lb13oz@birth- Mild ROP (gone!), severe CLD, BPD, ASD, pulm hyp, trach & g-tube 7/10/09 - At South Shore Hosp 1/6-5/22/09, Childrens Hospital Boston 5/22-9/8/09, Franciscans 9/8/09-6/14/10 --> Successfully decanned 8/31/10

Molly 1lb12oz@birth- PDA, mod ASD (2 holes), Stage 3 ROP (success laser surgery), CLD, pulm hyp, on O2 low flow cannula at 750 mL - At SSH 1/6-5/15/09 - HOME!

MICROPREEMIE MOMMY BLOG