Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Default Tracoe Adjustable Speaking Valve

I'm always searching for the perfect speaking valve. Someone recently mentioned that Tracoe has a new valve that is adjustable (has a dial). Has anyone used it? Pros/Cons? Does it truly eliminate the need for modifying a PMV? We have switched to Shiley Phonates, as they allow a slight leak and Ainsley prefers them. And we recently tried the Montgomery. Those would have been awesome years ago when she was having difficulty because the center pops open instead of the whole thing blowing across the room, but now she pops it open on purpose for fun. Who needs toys when you have a trach and all the accessories. TIA!

P.S. Here's a picture: http://www.trachs.com/cart/xcart/cus...cat=347&page=1
SUSAN - Mom to Ainsley (age 7 - DOB 10/18/06) + Evie (age 13) and Adrian (age 11). Adorable and Trached since 11/06 (scarred vocal cords & OSA) capping with mixed success since 1/09, sagittal craniosynostosis (reconstructions 1/07 & 7/07), MicKey G-tube 06/07, Nissen 10/08, rare form of cerebellar hypoplasia, hip dysplasia (Surgery 11/07 & 4/10), ptosis(post-surgery). Decanned 7/21/14.

Blog Link:
http://ainsleyrae.blogspot.com/
Old 07-02-2010, 04:37 PM

I haven't used anything other then the PMV, but had to comment on the toy part. Rosi's favorite thing to play with is the suction machine. She'll take out the catheter and then put it back on the hose. She puts the catheters in and out of the plastic packages. She tries to use it to suction her doll. When the trach is gone she's sure going to miss her "toy". She used to think it was funny to pop off the PMV too.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Joseph is currently using the tracoe twist- slightly different than what you have pictured: http://www.trachs.com/cart/xcart/cus...cat=347&page=1
I really like it, some days I can have it all the way closed up; and others when he seems to be struggling I open it up some(usually cause he either coughed and needs suctioned, or has a plug beginning that I cant get suctioned all the way out, but Im not able to change the trach out right at that moment).. It is a bit bigger than the PMV, and kinda looks like a smaller humivent mini(without the paper)... the downside is if you need oxygen, there isnt an adapter, you need to get the valve with the port.. so we now have two valves.. but also it doesnt pop apart like the adapter that comes for the PMV.. (ours was permanently taped on once Joseph learned to pull off anyway, so we really had two PMVs too.. one for oxygen, one for without)
Lynn, mother of Brooke(19), Haely(17), Sydney(12)Dominic(1) and Joseph(DOB 11/03/06)DX:Jeune's/Sensenbrenner Syndrome:trach 12/12/06: CPAP sleeping/ Capped awake~Situs Inversus:Aortic Stenosis:Myocardial Hypertrophy:Kidney Transplant 08/18/10 http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/josephmollica

Last edited by lynn : 07-02-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Mentor

Schnazzy deal there!! Pretty uptown...compared to drilling holes! I bet it works great!
Melisande H. Mother to The Preeminent Grand Poohba Donovan (5/27/03), still some "resolving" apnea, on the autism spectrum and some cerebellar malformations. Trached since he was 6 weeks old. Recently DECANNULATED 4/16/09!! Big brother to Conrad!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post
Joseph is currently using the tracoe twist- slightly different than what you have pictured: http://www.trachs.com/cart/xcart/cus...cat=347&page=1
I really like it, some days I can have it all the way closed up; and others when he seems to be struggling I open it up some(usually cause he either coughed and needs suctioned, or has a plug beginning that I cant get suctioned all the way out, but Im not able to change the trach out right at that moment).. It is a bit bigger than the PMV, and kinda looks like a smaller humivent mini(without the paper)... the downside is if you need oxygen, there isnt an adapter, you need to get the valve with the port.. so we now have two valves.. but also it doesnt pop apart like the adapter that comes for the PMV.. (ours was permanently taped on once Joseph learned to pull off anyway, so we really had two PMVs too.. one for oxygen, one for without)
I think the one you linked to is the right one. The one I linked to says for stoma buttons. I thought it was perhaps just a weird wording, but I think 15mm is the standard size. It sounds like there are no real disadvantages other than that you didn't get the one that works with oxygen? Maybe they are slightly larger.... I think I might try to get one through Apria. Our regular DME hadn't heard of these and even though I called the ENT to try to get them brought in, it would take months.
SUSAN - Mom to Ainsley (age 7 - DOB 10/18/06) + Evie (age 13) and Adrian (age 11). Adorable and Trached since 11/06 (scarred vocal cords & OSA) capping with mixed success since 1/09, sagittal craniosynostosis (reconstructions 1/07 & 7/07), MicKey G-tube 06/07, Nissen 10/08, rare form of cerebellar hypoplasia, hip dysplasia (Surgery 11/07 & 4/10), ptosis(post-surgery). Decanned 7/21/14.

Blog Link:
http://ainsleyrae.blogspot.com/
Old 07-05-2010, 03:56 PM

Yep, Susan- the only real disadvantage I have found is that you have to have two if there is any chance of needing oxygen/ and then not...

the only other real disadvantage is it doesnt LOOK like a speaking valve, more like the humivent mini hme.. and I have had to yell at both DH and kiddos for wanting to throw it away.

I have gotten ours thru Apria, and even though for me it really seemed like it took a while it was maybe 2 weeks, so I know they do carry them.
Lynn, mother of Brooke(19), Haely(17), Sydney(12)Dominic(1) and Joseph(DOB 11/03/06)DX:Jeune's/Sensenbrenner Syndrome:trach 12/12/06: CPAP sleeping/ Capped awake~Situs Inversus:Aortic Stenosis:Myocardial Hypertrophy:Kidney Transplant 08/18/10 http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/josephmollica
Old 07-05-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post
Yep, Susan- the only real disadvantage I have found is that you have to have two if there is any chance of needing oxygen/ and then not...

the only other real disadvantage is it doesnt LOOK like a speaking valve, more like the humivent mini hme.. and I have had to yell at both DH and kiddos for wanting to throw it away.

I have gotten ours thru Apria, and even though for me it really seemed like it took a while it was maybe 2 weeks, so I know they do carry them.
Do you happen to have an M#? I'm calling our pulmonary order tomorrow and I think I'll order one to see if Mackenzie likes it better.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM

I have the M# for the one with the oxygen adapter... I ordered the other one without the adapter(needed the new script) two weeks ago, and then again last week with our regular monthly order... I have yet to receive them- If I get them in today (Im hoping!) I will update with the M#