Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Ventilator Kids

Ventilator Kids For parents and caregivers of children on ventilators.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Default MOLD (gross read at own risk)

Ok so I have no one to mind Evan's alarms at night so I sleep in his room.
For the past three nights I smelled something awful, I could not find the source. I thought the cat peed in Evan's room or maybe something died under the house. Well I found it last night. I was putting Evan on his vent and tucking him into bed when I remebered about two weeks ago I had spilled some of his formula and I honestly thought it was all cleaned up but nope. Behind his dresser was a forest of mold furry, black and scary looking. It was liek a live monster climing up the wall YUCK.
The first thing I did was evacuate Evan out to the living room and let him sleep without vent I spent hours making sure his room was clean even removing a section of carpet that was beyond repair. But I am not sure about how to clean his vent. Is changing the circuit and filters enough to make sure no mold spores are in it?
At no time did Evan ever get sick or even notice a bad odor, but he is pretty oblivious to life around him.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 PM

Yikes, I have no idea about the vent as we do not have one but I sure hope that you get it figured out! Talk about worry!!!!!!
Mommy to Ashton. Former 24 weeker, now 5 years old! Ashton has severe cerebral palsy, severe reflux, g tube fed, legally blind, cochlear implant for hearing, undiagnosed cyanotic episodes and tracheostomy which was done in Dec 2009. The love of my life! Also mommy to an angel, Hunter who came way too soon on March 28th 2009 at 18weeks and 4 days.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Brooklyn

Hi Sweetheart...
Just wash out the inlet sponge filter real good and you should be fine. Wash out the other little black sponge filter. You could change the water and the circuit, I'm no expert, but I really don't think you'd have to. But it's always best to err on the side of caution, right? As long as there wasn't a lot of air blowing the mold around, it should be contained to that area where the formula was spilled. Wow!
Old 03-13-2010, 06:49 PM

I would change out the circuits, humidifier, the bacterial filter, fan filter, and the inlet filter... and wipe the vent off real well with clorox soaked paper towels.. there shouldnt be any thing in the vent and probably only the inlet filter where the air first enters the vent is needed to be changed.. but when it comes to mold I take the overkill approach.
Lynn, mother of Brooke(19), Haely(17), Sydney(12)Dominic(1) and Joseph(DOB 11/03/06)DX:Jeune's/Sensenbrenner Syndrome:trach 12/12/06: CPAP sleeping/ Capped awake~Situs Inversus:Aortic Stenosis:Myocardial Hypertrophy:Kidney Transplant 08/18/10 http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/josephmollica