Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Mentor

Send a message via Yahoo to Alethia
Default Angus tube change - it gets easier when older!

Non-YouTube, sorry, but the link is here:

Tube change

Mum to:
Angus 27/6/04-24/11/10 My star of a boy who was vent and O2 dependent 24/7. One of the loveliest kids you could ever have met.
Pics and vids
Blog
Juliet 28/9/99 perfectly healthy and beautiful
Alasdair 28/9/10 Delightful, easy-going boy

I'm a 'dawk'

Old 10-27-2009, 01:21 PM

That satisfied my sweet tooth! Angus is too cute.

I'm impressed with how well that change went. Now I have something to look forward to~!

Btw, I had never heard of placing tape on the stoma if you have to bag from above. We were taught to bag the stoma since Mackenzie didn't have a usable upperairway (over 90% occluded when we were discharged). We have the smallest face mask possible - I believe they use it on micro-preemies - and were told to press a good seal around the neck when bagging.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:43 PM

OMG How cute is he!!!!! Oh how I wish Joseph would get to the stage of helping and not fighting!! Very nicely done Kate (and Angus)
Lynn, mother of Brooke(19), Haely(17), Sydney(12)Dominic(1) and Joseph(DOB 11/03/06)DX:Jeune's/Sensenbrenner Syndrome:trach 12/12/06: CPAP sleeping/ Capped awake~Situs Inversus:Aortic Stenosis:Myocardial Hypertrophy:Kidney Transplant 08/18/10 http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/josephmollica
Old 10-27-2009, 08:22 PM

Loved the video, it actually made my day, (not really sure what that means ), but really made me smile!

Karen
[SIGPIC]Karen----Mom to Faith (6), and Natalie born 10/12/07 @ 25 weeks, 1lb 3oz. Came home 6/10/08 with a trach, vent, nissen with g-tube, and pda ligation. BPD, reflux, subglottic stenosis. Off the vent!!!! Double stage ltp 5/10. Decan 5/11/11!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Mentor

Hi Niff,

I know what you mean about bagging the stoma. That is totally correct for a child with subglottic stenosis or any upper airway restriction. Luckily for Angus he is not in that category - he is only ventilated because he has tiny lungs and a dodgy heart. Even a 4.5mm tube kind of rattles around in his trachea.

I found that he became very helpful when we stopped using any form of restraint when doing trach changes. I gave him jobs to do like hold the tapes, or pull the tube out or open the saline-wipe sachets and hand them to me. He's been great ever since. I actually do his tube and tape changes with him standing these days and he places his hands on my knees to steady himself. It takes seconds. I'm just hoping that he doesn't have his trach so long that he ends up doing the changes himself.........

Mum to:
Angus 27/6/04-24/11/10 My star of a boy who was vent and O2 dependent 24/7. One of the loveliest kids you could ever have met.
Pics and vids
Blog

I'm a 'dawk'

Old 10-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Mentor

Send a message via AIM to twintotwin

I always appreciate a good Angus movie. But I can't believe after all this time I've *known* you I never noticed you pronounce it "track", as opposed to the Americanos way "tr-ache" (only one syllable though) Well, with a long A.

I'll have to show you the mess we deal with every month on video.

The Birthday Boys by TwinTransfusion, on Flickr
Old 10-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintotwin View Post
I always appreciate a good Angus movie. But I can't believe after all this time I've *known* you I never noticed you pronounce it "track", as opposed to the Americanos way "tr-ache" (only one syllable though) Well, with a long A.

I'll have to show you the mess we deal with every month on video.
I think it's the norm in the UK to pronouce tracheostomy - track-kee-oss-toe-mee, so trach becomes "track", and trachea is "track-kee-uh". I've been in Scotland so long though, that the "ch" is a pronounced as a soft "k" like the "ch" in "loch" or "Auchtermuchty".

I'd love to see the mess you get every month with the boys. I was about to say "monthly mess", but that could be seriously misconstrued!!

Mum to:
Pics and vids
Blog

I'm a 'dawk'

Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 AM

That was beautiful to see. I have never visited the video thread before!!
Mitchell is a co-operative trache change boy too - thankfully. But I had not thought of asking him to take it out. He does help out with getting ready. It has got less stressful now that he doesn't desat every trache change!!!

Angus is so handsome!!! For some reason, I didn't expect him to be verbal on the vent, maybe, because Mitchell isn't. What a lovely boy.

You are obviously a fantastic mum to him.

Thanks for sharing,
Cherie
Mum to twins (Mitchell and Holly) born 10 Dec 2003. Mitchell's dx is Pentalogy of Cantrells. Mitchell has ahad a trache since January 2005, NG fed, ventilated on HT-50 for 6 years, now on CPap overnight. DX includes: giant omphalocele, ASD, GORD, CLD, cleft-sternum, sub-cutaneous IVC and right atrium, muscular defect of central diaphragm, Pulmonary Hypertension, GDD, Pulmonary Stenosis, spinal cord syrinx.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:52 AM

Just stumbled on to the video threads. He is so cute! Nice to see how others due things. I love the intro to your video too!
Fraser: a healthy eight year old boy
Andie: five year old princess born at 34weeks with Esophageal atresia, laryngeal tracheal cleft, tracheal malacia. Now has a over 35 anesthetic procedures under her belt. Includes a collis gastro plasty fundo and a trach. We are currently gtube fed and continue to have a hole between trachea and esophagus www.carepages.com
site: Andie2007
Old 12-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Angus is such a handsome little boy..I cant believe how good he is for the tube change..
Marie-mum to 3 boys -Ben(May 05) Marc(May 11) & Dylan(Sept 07)-Tetralogy of Fallot(repair may 08),Trached due to severe subglottic stenosis(July 08),G-tube(oct 08),Nissens(Feb 09),First Stage LTR(Aug 09),CTR(Nov 11).