Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:46 PM

OMG Lady,,sleep when you can!!!!!!
I used to feel bad when I canned a nurse but I don't anymore!! Sometimes they just aren't a good fit!!!

http://mamazgirlz.blogspot.com/
Gretch mom to, Heather(22), Aimee(19), and Celia(14) Dandy-Walker syndrome,cleft palate(repaired at 9 yo!),t-tubes,asd, left pulminary arterial stenosis,trach,aspiration,reflux,fundo,g-tube,npo,dysphagia,kidney defect,neurogenic bladder & bowel,spina bifida,scoliosis,seizures,hip dysplasia, sensory issues, ADHD,vasomotor rhinitis,autistic like behaviors, hearing aides.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:01 AM

Let me contact the ghost of Jonney Cochran. He says "if the nurse don't fit, then they must quit." also "if you find a liar, you must fire" ah words of wisdom. Some nurses won't fit with your child or you then they must go or you'll get caught in a bad relationship that is psychologicaly abusive. That's what sounds like happened to you. I can't imagine making snarky comments at a case, I'm being paid to proform a service in your home, so long as there is no safety issue it's non of my business. I may gripe about it but not infront of you, that's just rude. When I think of some of the stuff I've dealt with on cases verses what this lady was making her passive agressive coments about it just makes me shake my head. I have said it before and I'll say it again the good thing about home health is that no one is stuck the clent and the nurse can leave at any time so your never trapped. Good luck finding a replacement that is a better fit for you.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 AM

what a boob
I had some comments from nurses too, and the bottom line is I am the parent, I am following these orders from the doctor , and these are MY parenting rules, they are here to work, when we go to work we follow rules of the workplace

One nurse told me my son looked like a girl and that she wished he were a girl along with other things, she had a baby too and would say everything she did for him, I came down on her and said I am doing what I am doing and don't care what you do at home, I actually said it nicely. I can't believe how many people lack common sense..

yeah she didn't last, none of them did....
Heart baby (DORV, VSD, PA, D-Tran)BI-v repair 10/09
craniosynostosis, trach 2/09 severe laryngealmalaysia, kidney reflux, gtube 2/09, nissen fundo 6/09

www.jaspersheart.com
www.babyblogs.com/jasper
Reece Aug 3, 2010 healthy
Old 10-11-2009, 01:09 PM

You had every reason!
we've let about 5 nurses go due to them not knowing anything about trachs let alone vents
And our nurse in the making, 2yr old Sasha

Old 10-11-2009, 06:05 PM

We're new to all this but we find we are having our own share of troubles with nurses (or lack there of). I definately wouldn't want someone like that in my home, the rude comments are totally out of line and I would have had to say something she wouldn't have liked. If it weren't for our unfortunate positions these people wouldn't have a job. So with that said, I'm glad you got rid of her! Hoping you find a good one. We have a nurse (used 3 nights last week), but we found out (as others here had warned me about) he's been sleeping. Sydney had a seizure (he was asleep on the couch and didn't hear her, we have a monitor in our room so I got up right away), and 2 other times that same night she was fussing/crying and he was asleep so I just went in and laid down with her. I'm with you, for us it's probably easier to take care of our kids ourselves, we've always done it anyway (and we actually got more sleep without the nurse Fri & Sat than when he's here cause I have to keep checking on him and Sydney not to mention waiting up until 11 for him). But it would be nice occassionally if we could get some good sleep just get a few nights a week, not to mention someone we could trust during the day occassionally so we could do things with our other daughter. I suppose it's worth looking for a good one! Good luck!! (and wish me luck too - lol).
Old 10-11-2009, 09:11 PM

If you are feeling uncomfortable, it is not going to much help to you for her to be there. A nurse is there so you can get things done, and your daughter gets the attention she needs while you are doing it (whatever it may be~including sleeping or just relaxing a bit so you are a more rested better adjusted mommy) The comments are just rude, and you had every right to let her go.
Lynn, mother of Brooke(19), Haely(17), Sydney(12)Dominic(1) and Joseph(DOB 11/03/06)DX:Jeune's/Sensenbrenner Syndrome:trach 12/12/06: CPAP sleeping/ Capped awake~Situs Inversus:Aortic Stenosis:Myocardial Hypertrophy:Kidney Transplant 08/18/10 http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/josephmollica
Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 PM

As far as your night shifter. Let him know that sleeping is not accepted. I can't say that I've never nodded off but if you've already caught him three times! get that man a dining room chair or somethng less comfortable than a sofa (sofas and easy chairs are the enemy of night nurses) and a small reading lamp actualy physicaly in the room. If your daughter will tolorate it. I always sit in the same room as my cleint even if it means sitting on the floor. I don't beleave in baby monitors when I'm on a shift I like to have eyes on. If he's missing seizures then you have a problem. What's the point of haveing a night nurs. If they're gonna be asleep?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 AM

I don't know if it's good or bad but firing a nurse gets easier and easier. You did the right thing. We're calling tomorrow to fire our night shift (weekend) nurse. She shows up less than 50% of the time. Karen
Karen, married to Charlie. Mom to Gilbete', Jeanette , Andrea, Ben, Ciara, Brian and Brady. Also mom to Alize who is with God. Grandmother to Marek, Paige, Vincent, Leilani and Cayden, Emma and Samuel.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 AM

Arrow

Oh girl, you did the right thing. I LOVE the good ones, but every once in a while there is someone who is just a plain ol' bad fit. We have had both.
Oh the stories I could tell...or do (if you read my blog.) It is just much better to look for someone who fits better with your family, snide comments are just part of the job description.

Blogging it all at Sneak Peek At Me!