Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:59 PM

Default unusual reaction to mosquito bites???

Eric woke up yesteray mornig with a mosquito bite on his arm. One must have snuck in the house, because it definetly wasn't there the night before. Anyway, his whole arm was hugely swollen and red, and the bite itself recently started oozing. He's had other bad ones this summer, but this was by far the worst. Our nurse said it must have some connection to his (somewhat) weak immune system. Has anything like this happened to your kids? If a mosquito bite can be this bad I'm scared to death of what a bee sting might do to him. BTW we have no family history of allergies to bees, mosquitos, or even food.

Nothing and no one can beat you unless you let them, and then you will deserve it.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Are you sure it is mosquito and not spider? I have had bites from spiders that make my arm swell and they ooze. (kinda do look like a mosquito bite till they keep growing and get gross.) ALL in the fun of cleaning out my basement
I use baking powder paste to "suck" the poison out like a bee sting.
Lynn, mother of Brooke(19), Haely(17), Sydney(12)Dominic(1) and Joseph(DOB 11/03/06)DX:Jeune's/Sensenbrenner Syndrome:trach 12/12/06: CPAP sleeping/ Capped awake~Situs Inversus:Aortic Stenosis:Myocardial Hypertrophy:Kidney Transplant 08/18/10 http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/josephmollica
Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 PM

I'm on the same boat as Lynn... sounds more like a spider bite compared to a mosquito bite.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 PM

My oldest daughter is really allergic to mosquito bites. Like if she gets one on her arm it will grow to the size of a half dollar or larger and become hard and red. It sometimes will ooze and you can see a white blister form on it. It takes a little longer than most bites to go away but it eventually will. We would always give her benedryl and not let her itch them. My son just gets normal bites but Autumn is having the same reactions that my daughter did. She has like 8 right now...I found a lotion Off repellant that I am putting on her since I did not want to use the spray and putting cortisone cream on it.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwilliams8 View Post
My oldest daughter is really allergic to mosquito bites. Like if she gets one on her arm it will grow to the size of a half dollar or larger and become hard and red. It sometimes will ooze and you can see a white blister form on it. It takes a little longer than most bites to go away but it eventually will.
This is exactly what happens with my oldest son. Huge red bumps that grow quickly. They are hot and red and sometimes hurt but often itch. He has huge reactions to mosquitos every time. He has never had them get worse they just look terribly bad. He suffers from asthma but is otherwise healthy.

My other children don't have this reaction to mosquitos. He uses cold compresses to keep the itching and pain at bay.

Hope your little guy does well with this and it passes quickly!

Hugs, Melissa
Melissa~Wife to one fabulous husband, Pat and mother of four beautiful kids, Sarah-24, Alyson-22 (spastic quadriplegic CP, microcephaly, epilepsy, asthma, scoliosis, developmental delays, tracheostomy 4/09, g-tube 4/09), Eric-19, and Kyle-16. A fine group of young'ns if I say so myself! With every day comes a new challenge, I pray I'll be around to face them all.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 PM

my son reacts badly as well, my dd doesn't, for him i use aveeno cortisone cream if he happens to get bit, i always use the combo sunscreen/bug replent from avon whenever we go outside, even at school the nurse has to put it on him before he goes outside, we also use dombero, you can usually find at walgreens otc, works wonders to bring down swelling, we have ended up inpatient for a few days when was 3, they thought maybe staph, but it wasn't. he will usually within an hour or 2 have cellulitis set in, his entire leg, or arm, or whenever he is bit swells up enormously fast, and get hard, hot and red. we aviod mosquito at all cost, and being in texas, it is rather impossible at times! since we have had very little rain this summer, the mosquitos haven't been to bad, but we can't outside much anyway, the heat index is 110 here lately! we have had to do abx a few times as well, but i find the dombero a few times a day and the aveeno work great. just check with your doctor first, good luck.

mom to 6yr old CHargE, trach,gbutton/fundo
Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 PM

[QUOTEMy oldest daughter is really allergic to mosquito bites. Like if she gets one on her arm it will grow to the size of a half dollar or larger and become hard and red. It sometimes will ooze and you can see a white blister form on it][/quote]

This is what every other bite he's gottten has done, but the one on his arm was way worse. I suppose there's a slight chance it could have been a spider bite (although hopefully not b/c I'm terrified od them!) but I think it was a mosquito. We've been putting benadryl cream on it and it looks a little better but still pretty bad.

Nothing and no one can beat you unless you let them, and then you will deserve it.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 PM

Jen,,I am allergic to mosquito's and that is what happens to me,,every bite is different, from little reaction to BIG reaction,,If I get too many at one time I get physically ill also. It is called Skeeter syndrome,,NO JOKE,,there is plenty of info on it on the web!!!

http://mamazgirlz.blogspot.com/
Gretch mom to, Heather(22), Aimee(19), and Celia(14) Dandy-Walker syndrome,cleft palate(repaired at 9 yo!),t-tubes,asd, left pulminary arterial stenosis,trach,aspiration,reflux,fundo,g-tube,npo,dysphagia,kidney defect,neurogenic bladder & bowel,spina bifida,scoliosis,seizures,hip dysplasia, sensory issues, ADHD,vasomotor rhinitis,autistic like behaviors, hearing aides.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:18 PM

[QUOJen,,I am allergic to mosquito's and that is what happens to me,,every bite is different, from little reaction to BIG reaction,,If I get too many at one time I get physically ill also. It is called Skeeter syndrome,,NO JOKE,,there is plenty of info on it on the webTE][/quote]

Should I ask for an epi pen for him?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Mentor

Send a message via AIM to twintotwin

oooh poor guy! Elijah gets huge red lumps from mosquitoes but we give him benadryl or use the cream and they disappear.
I've been giving him garlic in his GT to ward the mosquitoes off...it works well for me but it has to be raw. I'm not sure if it's worked for Elijah yet or is it just a coincidence that he hasn't been bit. OFF never works on us.

Skeeter Syndrome....hmmm, very interesting!

The Birthday Boys by TwinTransfusion, on Flickr