Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 AM

Default Air compressor settings for trach collar?

I'm having a dickens of a time finding the right flow on the air compressor. Our DME set it on 20, and we have the neb bottle at 100, but that was making Mackenzie way too wet. So I dropped the compressor to 10 and her secretions have gotten a little thick, but managable. She only has a 3.5 neo that plugs easily, so I'm terrified of thick secretions but at the same time her rhonchi is horrid.

What are your settings?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 AM

We had our compressor set between 25 and 35, per the DME RT. He told us to leave the neb bottle set at 80 and no higher. I didn't listen because I couldn't handle the noise of the air leak at the low settings, so I turned it up until the leak was closed -- above 95 somewhere.

You can increase the amount of moisture that condenses (and decrease the amount in the mist) by lengthening the blue tubing. Maybe that will help.
Alex born 6/19/2007, PRS, Trached and GTube at 3 weeks, palate repaired 12/20/2007, failed decannulation 5/7/08 due to undiagnosed suprastomal collapse, jaw distraction 9/9/08 (insertion) to 10/30/08 (removal). Single Stage LTP 2/17/09 and now member of the Naked Neck Club. Need a laugh? Check out http://itsallgoodtoday.blogspot.com/

Old 05-13-2009, 07:54 AM

I think ours may be set around 14 now and the neb cap has always been closed since Luke doesn't get any oxygen. We sometimes move the setting depending on how wet/dry Luke is. When we do that we change by 2 points up or down a night until we get where we need to be. Luke only wears his collar at night.
Mom of Sam & Gus (9 yo twins) and Luke (born 2/17/07 with CHARGE syndrome - choanal atresia (14 surgeries to open his nose - and counting), hearing loss & developmental delay, trached at 6 days old because his nose was blocked with bone, later diagnosed with subglottic stenosis and laryngotracheomalacia, g-tube placed at 18 months, tonsillectomy 10/08/09, unexpected decan 1/14/10 , now on CPAP for sleep apnea)
Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Mentor

Send a message via AIM to twintotwin

Ours bottle is set at 40. Our PSI converter is difficult to read so I just eyeball the flow before I attach it to their collar.

Maybe you should upsize her trach if that's an option. No sense on stressing over plugs like that.

The Birthday Boys by TwinTransfusion, on Flickr
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJKK8437 View Post
We had our compressor set between 25 and 35, per the DME RT. He told us to leave the neb bottle set at 80 and no higher. I didn't listen because I couldn't handle the noise of the air leak at the low settings, so I turned it up until the leak was closed -- above 95 somewhere.
Ditto. We seem to get plenty of moisture, but Gabriel always seems dry. The HME helps, when he wears it, as do the saline nebs, but we don't have much luck with the trach collar (although we use it every night).
Trach 6-06-08
Palate repaired 2-03-09

www.caringbridge.org/visit/gabrielsmith
Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 AM

Our neb bottle is at 100 and I don't know what the PSI is. I had to rig it because we were bleeding O2 in and was having a horrible time. We have a venturi set up for that, but it isn't "peoperly" set up. It is however set up in a way that works for us.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to TommysMommy

Ours was neb bottle at 100, PSI around 25, 3 liters O2 on the concentrator plus 22 links of blue tubing equaled out to 35-40% oxygen for Tommy with enough humidity without soaking him or being too dry.
Rene, Mom to my Angel, Tommy. Born 9/25/06 at 33 weeks, with Single Ventricle Heart Defects and Cricopharyngeal Achalasia (Gtube dependant, poor swallow). Trached at 2 months for Severe Subglottic Stenosis. My little flirt died unexpectly 8/20/08 from complications from undiagnosed bronchopneumonia.

Forever, Tommy's Mommy http://www.musingsofaheartfamily.blogspot.com/
Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 AM

Wow - sounds like a variety of settings going on. I changed it to 15-ish because of the thick secretions and the current plan is to just create a little distance between the mask and her trach - instead of putting it directly over the trach we pull it down a little.

Kerry - Upsizing the trach isn't an option because the one she has now "fits perfectly".

Beth - Have you tried the Airlife U/Adapt-It Straight Adapter? We put it inline with the corregated tubing and that's how we bleed oxygen in. The catalog number is 004081. You may want to call your DME and ask about it.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:49 PM

How long can Mac stay on the trach collar now? It sounds like she is making progress!
Trach 6-06-08
Palate repaired 2-03-09

www.caringbridge.org/visit/gabrielsmith
Old 05-13-2009, 02:54 PM

I have something very similar to that- It might be the same thing, but I just couldn't get her sats where they needed to be. I was losing too much O2. Do you have yours connected at the trach colloar or the bottle? Our flow meter goes up to 1 lt. Hopefully in the next month or see, we can ditch the o2 at night.