Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:39 PM

Question Seasonal Allergies & Trachs

I believe Austin has seasonal allergies. Every time we go outside his nose starts running like crazy, his eyes water. Despite this he LOVES to be outside. He started these symptoms in mid/late Feb. I can suction HUGE gobs of mucous out his nose when he sounds like he needs to be suctioned, but nothing is "there" in his trach. So this went on for a while, then he came down with pneumonia/pseudamonas, we treated that. Now we are still back to major nasal issues.

Here is my point: the Pulmo will not treat with Claratin or Zyrtec or ANY other meds because she said it will dry up his Trach secretions. He has been on Nasonex for a year since he got the Trach. All she did was double it from one squirt per nostril/day to two. Now I see that others here are on Claratin etc. So I am being given a line? What do you do for Trach kids wih allergies?

Blogging it all at Sneak Peek At Me!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM

We did Claritin during the day and Benadryl at night. And breathing treatments if she got sick, and eventually went to Pulmicort as a maintenance once a day.

Hope

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=4acb482c.pbw
Old 03-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Emma has been on zyrtec and claritin both. Our ped recommended it. Our pulmo refuses to admit that a child with a trach could have seasonal allergies since they dont breath through their nose! Whatever

EMMA- CP,TRACHED, G-TUBED DEC 2004 AND VENT DEPEND JUNE '05, CORD ACCIDENT DUE TO MONOCHORIONIC MONOAMNIOTIC TWIN PREGNANCY
Old 03-27-2009, 02:57 PM

See if she'll try singulair It was great for Allison for several years
trach-decanned for good in 2008, gtube, asthma, CP, MR, GERD, latex allergy, osteopenia, aplastic cerebellum, ADHD/OCD, 60 lbs of humor and fiest, 4'4" tall, patient at Shreveport Shriners Childrens Hospital,, and I may be leaving something out but she is happy and growing and the light of our lives! DECANNED 6-17-08
[IMG]
[IMG]
Old 03-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to elijah'smom

We use zyrtec and claritin. Singular and pulmicort is also prescribed by the pulmo. Our pulmo just told us to just watch the secretions and if we are giving him too much his trach secretions would get thick and if that happens then to back the doseage down. He said that claritin seem to do it more that zyrtec, but we have never had that problem.
Mom to James (who passed away),Mike 13, Chianne 12, Sierra 9, Alysen 6, and our miracle baby Elijah 5 years old, born with Walker Warburg syndrome, born without eyes, hearing loss, seizure disorder, g-tube,trach and completely weaned from the vent, and has been a true blessing, miracle, and fighter.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 PM

I should add we didnt have issues with trach drying up with claritin or zyrtec.

I personally love singular for my allergies, it works graet for indoor and outdoor allergies

EMMA- CP,TRACHED, G-TUBED DEC 2004 AND VENT DEPEND JUNE '05, CORD ACCIDENT DUE TO MONOCHORIONIC MONOAMNIOTIC TWIN PREGNANCY
Old 03-27-2009, 03:18 PM

we use piriton (chlorphenamine maleate). sometimes with an allergy you'd want secretions to dry up a bit!

i've been using fexodenadine for quite a while for my own allergies - really effective.
APGARS 0+1 (HIE gr.2/seizures) but she MADE IT! with the determination that we still see in her every day.
Grade III SGS - emergency tracheotomy July 2007.
2 stage LTR July 09 - DECANNED 27.9.09

tracheomalacia (GONE!! Sept08)
partial agenesis of the corpus callosum
residual VSDs post-surgery but lung pressures normal (Nov08),

?septo-optic dysplasia.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 PM

Nate takes Rynatan (antihistamine) once/day. He was having major retching spells and we thought it was due to post nasal drip triggering his gag reflux. His nose was always runny but it was clear and that's what he was gagging up. He hasn't had a huge spell since he started the Rynatan so I'm guessing that was it. I'm so glad he's already on something because the tree pollen here is really bad right now.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:31 PM

We use claritin when Natalie's nose is really runny, with post nasal. they also said to try atrovent nasal spray. that actually does dry up her trach not the claritin. I think its really child to child.
[SIGPIC]Karen----Mom to Faith (6), and Natalie born 10/12/07 @ 25 weeks, 1lb 3oz. Came home 6/10/08 with a trach, vent, nissen with g-tube, and pda ligation. BPD, reflux, subglottic stenosis. Off the vent!!!! Double stage ltp 5/10. Decan 5/11/11!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:11 PM

I figured I was getting nowhere...I think I may need to hit up the Ped for the Claratin Rx. I should add he already takes Pulmicort 2x/day & Albuterol 2x/day for maintenance. I mean why not just TRY it and see what happens? I hate close minded Drs.

Blogging it all at Sneak Peek At Me!