Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Mentor

Send a message via AIM to twintotwin
Default RSV and Constant Coughing Help Needed

I'm trying desperately to keep Milo from joining Elijah in the PICU. I just know he's going to get, or already has, RSV. For 2 days his temp has been as high as 103 but he's still playful and alert. Sats 96-100, Resp 36 with elevated HR. So far I'm relatively comfortable not taking him to the ER.
However, his coughing is freaking me out a bit. Non-stop dry coughing fits. I gave him Tussi, a cough suppressant about 2 hours ago and so far it hasn't worked. And of course the usual Motrin/Tylenol.

Does anyone know of anything I can give or ask the pedi for that'll make Milo more comfortable and reduce the coughing?

The Birthday Boys by TwinTransfusion, on Flickr
Old 11-25-2008, 06:19 PM

Is he still on a Neo trach? Seriously for us when Ainsley has a bad cough going from the Ped to the Neo helps a lot. Delsym cough syrup helps a little. And that's all I got for you. (Ainsley doesn't have any prescribed meds or treatments.)
SUSAN - Mom to Ainsley (age 7 - DOB 10/18/06) + Evie (age 13) and Adrian (age 11). Adorable and Trached since 11/06 (scarred vocal cords & OSA) capping with mixed success since 1/09, sagittal craniosynostosis (reconstructions 1/07 & 7/07), MicKey G-tube 06/07, Nissen 10/08, rare form of cerebellar hypoplasia, hip dysplasia (Surgery 11/07 & 4/10), ptosis(post-surgery). Decanned 7/21/14.

Blog Link:
http://ainsleyrae.blogspot.com/
Old 11-25-2008, 06:26 PM

Peyton had all the same symptoms a few weeks ago and was hospitalized for two days. Surprisingly, it wasn't RSV. Nothing seemed to "work" for the coughing except time, but keeping her on a trach mist all day and night helped to keep the cough a little more productive. For the first time ever, her pediatrician recommended nebulizer treatments, although we only kept up with those a few days because they didn't seem to do that much to help.
Good luck - this was a slow recovery for Peyton but within about a week she was doing much better. Took about two to recover fully. The dry coughing was about enough to drive me crazy - espescially because it resulted in vomiting most of the time!
Mommy to Peyton, dx w/Nager's Syndrome, trached at 3 days, g tube at 3 weeks, severe bilateral hearing loss, aortic valve disease, fused fingers, underdeveloped thumb-pollicization completed 8/27/08, fused forearms, first jaw distraction 6/2/08 AND A SMILE THAT LIGHTS THE WORLD!http://peytonsparents.blogspot.com
Old 11-26-2008, 12:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to WeAdoptKids

It sounds crazy but we read about 5 years ogo about rubbing vicks vapor rub all over the bottoms of both feet and cover them with socks. We have stopped using any coughing medicine and it has worked about 95% of the time. It never ceases to amaze us how well it works. You just might want to give it a try.
Married to Merrill...33 years...Blessed Mom to 21 as of last count... Michael-33, Maxwell-29, Mallory-27 Justin-23, Marshal-23, Jesse-22, Jeremy-20, Micah-18, Mordachi-15, Jericho-14, LisaMarie-12, Joseph-11, McClain-9, Joey-8, MacGyver-5, Maverick, McCoy 2, his twin sister Macylea and the youngest Montana 16 months. Malachi and Jason-in Heaven watching over us all.

http://www.merrillsimonfamily.blogspot.com/
Old 11-26-2008, 12:43 AM

what about xopenex and oral steroids? when my son had rsv we were inpatient for a few days and they gave him iv steriods and i demanded xopenex b/c it seemed to help him, even though they, residents, try to say xopenex wouldn't help rsv, i ask our pulmo about that later and she said it is a 50/50 chance xopenex can be benafical in rsv, she said some docs say it does nothing for it , some say it doesn't hurt to do it, i remember when my son had it he asked me to suction him and nothing would come out, it was just non productive cough, xopenex seemed to make his cough slightly better.

good luck

mom to anthony 5 yr old CHargEr, trach, gbutton/fundo
Old 11-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Mentor

Do you have flovent 110? Try two puffs.

thinking of you

LTR 03/22/2007
LTR 07/15/2008
decannulated, but uses CPAP while sleeping
Old 11-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Mentor

Send a message via AIM to twintotwin

Still loads of coughing. I'm giving q2-4 albuterol and he gets Flovent and Pulmicort already (yes, I realize they're the same).

I have a slight memory of someone saying trach kids shouldn't be exposed to menthol? Not sure if it's even true. Anyone know?

Thanks everyone for your responses.

If Milo goes into the hospital he'll likely be in a different one than Elijah. That would suck really bad. Plus Elijah won't be coming home until at least Friday.

The Birthday Boys by TwinTransfusion, on Flickr
Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 AM

When Gabriel has coughing fits we put him on the trach mist and increase his breathing txs. Those measures really help him. I hope your little guy gets better soon; I can't imagine how hard it would be to have 2 kids in the hospital, let alone the PICU.
Trach 6-06-08
Palate repaired 2-03-09

www.caringbridge.org/visit/gabrielsmith
Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 AM

Ayden had rsv last year & all his SATs were normal,but he couldnt stop coughing....Took him to the ER & they said the coughing was his way of trying to open his airways & a few more hours he wouldnt have been able to keep on breathing,he was soo exhausted,they said the RSV brought on a full blown asthma attack & they loaded him up with IV steroids & luckly he was able to avoid being vented.I didnt think he was that unstable & ive seen a lot,but when they put the IV in he just layed there & let them ,thats when i knew how sick he actually was,Id rather have him kicking & screaming than that......Poor little guy,I hope hes better soon........Angie
Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 AM

When Sam has had RSV it's the cough that's the worse think. It is just an unmistakeable sound, I can tell straight away now if he's got it. the problem is the cough is so hard to control and our little ones get exhausted from all the coughing if it continues. We use codeine linctus for Sam when it gets bad (I don't know if you have that or an alternative on your side of the pond). Basically it suppresses the cough, we only use it at night so that Sam (and us) can get some sleep. Obviously he needs to cough to clear any gunk. Poor boys, I hope they don't end up in different hospitals.

Julie x

Sam Feb 11 2003 Opitz G/BBB syndrome, mickey, nissen, autistic,supraventricular tachycardia, bronchiolitis obliterans. decanned May 30 2009. 2 brothers Jonathan (23) James (14).
I am first and foremost a child