Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:08 PM

Default Granulation Tissue?

Here's a picture of Ainsley's stoma.

I got a better look and I think it's grown. That is granulation tissue, right? The bumps underneath are scar tissue. I know it looks a lot like granulation tissue too. I'm concerned about the stuff around the cannula.

Do you think Tobridex drops might make it go away? What is the typical treatment for granulation tissue? In the past we've had it burned off with silver nitrate.
SUSAN - Mom to Ainsley (age 7 - DOB 10/18/06) + Evie (age 13) and Adrian (age 11). Adorable and Trached since 11/06 (scarred vocal cords & OSA) capping with mixed success since 1/09, sagittal craniosynostosis (reconstructions 1/07 & 7/07), MicKey G-tube 06/07, Nissen 10/08, rare form of cerebellar hypoplasia, hip dysplasia (Surgery 11/07 & 4/10), ptosis(post-surgery). Decanned 7/21/14.

Blog Link:
http://ainsleyrae.blogspot.com/
Old 11-15-2008, 02:50 PM

That looks pretty nasty. Sam has only ever had internal granulation, I've never seen anything like that. sorry I have no idea how to treat that, hope you can get some answers.

Julie x

Sam Feb 11 2003 Opitz G/BBB syndrome, mickey, nissen, autistic,supraventricular tachycardia, bronchiolitis obliterans. decanned May 30 2009. 2 brothers Jonathan (23) James (14).
I am first and foremost a child
Old 11-15-2008, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to suzanne2545

Parker's looked like that and both times it went away as fast as it came. Of course, my main concern always was what about trach changes if it falls into the stoma and makes it hard to place the trach. Never happened in our case but it was a point of discussion.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:02 PM

you know..that looks like Amanda's stoma did after they upsized her during the stent placement. It looked that way for a couple weeks. We used a combo of hydrocortizone and bactraban and it went away, but it took a while. There might be a better way to treat it but that did work for us. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWorthington View Post
That looks pretty nasty. Sam has only ever had internal granulation, I've never seen anything like that. sorry I have no idea how to treat that, hope you can get some answers.
Yeah, and the things is that it hurts when you touch a swab to it to clean it. She screams to the point of turning blue. Nice, huh? But you have to keep it clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne2545 View Post
Parker's looked like that and both times it went away as fast as it came. Of course, my main concern always was what about trach changes if it falls into the stoma and makes it hard to place the trach. Never happened in our case but it was a point of discussion.
So far, we've never had a problem with that. She's had 4 trach changes within the week as opposed to the 1 a month she usually gets. Sometimes we've had small amounts of granulation tissue that have gone away on their own. But this time I suspect it's past the point of going away on it's own or even with these drops. We're supposed to try them for a week. It's just hard to keep it clean and dry (we're using Nysatin powder which mostly had absorbed into the skin in the picture) when it's so painful. And there's been small amounts of blood in her secretions which you can even see on her trach in the picture. Poor babe.
SUSAN - Mom to Ainsley (age 7 - DOB 10/18/06) + Evie (age 13) and Adrian (age 11). Adorable and Trached since 11/06 (scarred vocal cords & OSA) capping with mixed success since 1/09, sagittal craniosynostosis (reconstructions 1/07 & 7/07), MicKey G-tube 06/07, Nissen 10/08, rare form of cerebellar hypoplasia, hip dysplasia (Surgery 11/07 & 4/10), ptosis(post-surgery). Decanned 7/21/14.

Blog Link:
Old 11-15-2008, 10:54 PM

Sending hugs to Ainsley and mom. That looks miserable but I've had no experience with external granulomas. Karen
Karen, married to Charlie. Mom to Gilbete', Jeanette , Andrea, Ben, Ciara, Brian and Brady. Also mom to Alize who is with God. Grandmother to Marek, Paige, Vincent, Leilani and Cayden, Emma and Samuel.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shylent

Ouch ! Poor gal , that just LOOKS painful ! I too only have experience with internal gran tissue so I am no help to you but I hope you are able to solve it soon.
May Mommy to Sebastian(1-24-06), hardcore former 26 wk preemie, had and kicked butt of many issues, dealing with a few more , including autism. Trached 4/16/06 @ 3 months due to severe BPD and mild Tracheomalacia. Decanned 9-9-09 and doin' just fine !
http://sebastiansjourney.blogspot.com/
Old 11-15-2008, 11:11 PM

Poor baby girl!!!!!! I can see that around the stoma is irritated more than the rest of the granuloma. I'm sure it hurts like heck!!!
Celia once had bad gran on the outside in the same place and when she had her annual bronch they found that it had been growing on the inside just as much as on the outside. They had to laser it all. She still has a big extra scar by her stoma. Before that they had always just used silver nitrate.
I hope the drops help miss Ainsley!!!

http://mamazgirlz.blogspot.com/
Gretch mom to, Heather(22), Aimee(19), and Celia(14) Dandy-Walker syndrome,cleft palate(repaired at 9 yo!),t-tubes,asd, left pulminary arterial stenosis,trach,aspiration,reflux,fundo,g-tube,npo,dysphagia,kidney defect,neurogenic bladder & bowel,spina bifida,scoliosis,seizures,hip dysplasia, sensory issues, ADHD,vasomotor rhinitis,autistic like behaviors, hearing aides.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:02 AM

Hi Susan,

Gage had that as well and Dr. Drummond lasered it off, I could not believe how
beautiful the site looked after as I just got used to seeing it everyday and once it was lasered off I then realized how bad it really was.

Lisa

Lisa
Mom to Sloan, and fraternal twins Taiga and Gage.
http://myversionofmylife.blogspot.com
Old 11-16-2008, 03:43 AM

Yeah, imagine what that feels like when she coughs.

She does have a granuloma inside too. It's above the trach and below the vocal cords so they have to do a laryngoscopy to see it. They've talked about surgically removing it but at our last appointment the oto said she thought it best to wait until decan or it would probably grow back. BUT I think it's kind of crazy to expect her to ever be able to breath capped with a trach tube taking up part of the airway and a granuloma too. At that rate God knows if she'll ever be successful at capping and a candidate for decannulation. But as you heard me say, our oto is moving so we'll be getting someone new. Hoping for a different approach. Or maybe we'll go back to see Dr. Cotton.

Blog Link: