Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:14 PM

Default Granulation Tissue - How to Treat?

Some days just seem to spiral out of control, don't they? Two years into this deal I still sometimes feel like I don't know what the heck I'm doing and wonder why my child isn't in a hospital where they can figure this stuff out. One of THOSE days, I guess. Anway.....

Granulation tissue. How do you know for sure when you're child has it? And how do you treat it?

Ainsley came down with a TERRIBLE cough on Sunday night, completely out of nowhere. By Monday it was uncontrollable and sounded barky. In the past I found that switching her to her old small trach (3.0 Neo) would immediately (within 2 minutes) stop the weird barky sound and cut down on the coughing so that's what I did. Later in the week it became obvious she'd caught a cold, when the runny nose appeared. But in between all that she got some granulation tissue either that's what started it or it's two separate things happening at the same time. It's like a growth in a ring around her cannula/stoma. It's pretty much skin colored but looks raw (not like the scar tissue that she has all over the area). It is very painful and she screams and turns blue when you try to clean it. That sounds like granulation tissue, right? I called the ENT Tuesday to see if she should come in this week. They don't get back to me and then I finally call today. The details of the conversation are too complex to relay so I'll spare you. Basically they want to give her Tobridex drops. We have never used these. The only other serious granulation tissue she had was removed with silver nitrate in the ER. Plus she's had bleeding from all this. Earlier I touched the granulation and got blood out of the trach 5 seconds later. I'm waiting for calls back from the ENT and pulmonary departments and it's 3:00 Friday afternoon. If anyone has some 3.5 Neo Shiley trachs to give please PM me.

So yes, I'm annoyed and venting. But really, how do you KNOW when you're child has granulation tissue and what should be done about it. And what causes them to get it in the first place? And anyone have any good links to color photos of some? I found a link to this old B&W on tracheostomy.com and that sure looks like it but seeing it in color would help.

Sadly, Ainsley's stoma looks almost just like that from scar tissue so it makes it hard to see the granulation tissue. - I guess I'm willing to try drops but had never heard of that before. Edited to say: And I would if the pharmacy had them in stock.
SUSAN - Mom to Ainsley (age 6 - DOB 10/18/06) + Evie (age 12) and Adrian (age 9). Adorable and Trached since 11/06 (scarred vocal cords & OSA) but capping with mixed success since 1/09, sagittal craniosynostosis (cranial reconstructions 1/07 & 7/07), MicKey G-tube 06/07, Nissen 10/08, unusual form of cerebellar hypoplasia, hip dysplasia (Surgery 11/07 & 4/10), ptosis(post-surgery).

Blog Link:
http://ainsleyrae.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Ainsley's Mom : 11-14-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:44 PM

Susan I just saw this. Did you get the help you need from the ENT or someone?
Alex born 6/19/2007, PRS, Trached and GTube at 3 weeks, palate repaired 12/20/2007, failed decannulation 5/7/08 due to undiagnosed suprastomal collapse, jaw distraction 9/9/08 (insertion) to 10/30/08 (removal). Single Stage LTP 2/17/09 and now member of the Naked Neck Club. Need a laugh? Check out http://itsallgoodtoday.blogspot.com/

Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 AM

Hi,
Tucker's stoma looked like that last year, his surgeon "excised" it, basically cut it off. His stoma looked so great for about 3 months, then it started coming back.
We knew he had it on his stoma because it was so obvious. The surgeon had to intibate Tucker so he could look down the trachea to see if there was any granulated tissue down in there he needed to fix. Tucker's was all external.
Leigh
Leigh, mom to Tucker, born at 27 weeks, weighing 1 pound, 11 ounces, trached at 3 months old due to BPD and bronchotracheal malacia, has a g-tube and spent 8 1/2 months in the hosptial, is now 2 years old, almost off the vent, and the love of his mommy's and daddy's lives

Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Default re:granulation

My son Noah gets granulation alot. It's not uncommon, and some kids are proned to it, from the irritation of the trach. They gave me the same drops you have, and it does work. However, sometimes they have to basically cut it out. I understand your frustration, your not alone.
cwilson27
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Noah1.1.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-17-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJKK8437 View Post
Susan I just saw this. Did you get the help you need from the ENT or someone?
Well they did phone in the prescription for the drops. So I guess I got help. But I'm feeling better. Thanks for asking. Mostly because she's smiling again and not coughing so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker'smom View Post
Hi,
Tucker's stoma looked like that last year, his surgeon "excised" it, basically cut it off. His stoma looked so great for about 3 months, then it started coming back.
We knew he had it on his stoma because it was so obvious. The surgeon had to intibate Tucker so he could look down the trachea to see if there was any granulated tissue down in there he needed to fix. Tucker's was all external.
She'll definately need a stoma revision but I think it'll just grow back if we do it now. She does in fact have granulation inside as well, but same deal, they don't want to remove it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson27 View Post
My son Noah gets granulation alot. It's not uncommon, and some kids are proned to it, from the irritation of the trach. They gave me the same drops you have, and it does work. However, sometimes they have to basically cut it out. I understand your frustration, your not alone.
Thank you. I'm glad to know that the drops can actually work. So far the area seems sell sore. I wouldn't say the granulation has gone away but at least it's less painful. We'll give it a full week and see if we need to go in for something more extreme.
SUSAN - Mom to Ainsley (age 6 - DOB 10/18/06) + Evie (age 12) and Adrian (age 9). Adorable and Trached since 11/06 (scarred vocal cords & OSA) but capping with mixed success since 1/09, sagittal craniosynostosis (cranial reconstructions 1/07 & 7/07), MicKey G-tube 06/07, Nissen 10/08, unusual form of cerebellar hypoplasia, hip dysplasia (Surgery 11/07 & 4/10), ptosis(post-surgery).

Blog Link:
http://ainsleyrae.blogspot.com/