Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:27 PM

Unhappy How long does it take for the hole to close?

I would like any information about how long it takes for the hole to close...I have heard days to months. Jillian had a trach for three years which was removed last Wednesday and it shows no signs of closing up. She will not keep any covering on it and it is lovely with secretions, plus I can hear her breath through the hole still. Also Bathtime is a serious issue now with no cap...the water just runs there. I am not giving her a bath again until this closes or I can find a solution which does not involve duck tape. AND I WANT TO TAKE HER TO THE BEACH! Any info?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Hinchfamily

Adison took about 6 months to completely close but it was about 2 or 3 when it was closed enough that is was just a pin hole. I used bad aid water proof band aids they work the best all day and in the bath and they hard for me to get off. I have attached a image of what they look like on. Get the larger ones i tried the cute kids ones but they were to small.
Congrats on the decan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bandaid.jpg (68.9 KB, 30 views)

www.TheHinchFamily.com

Old 07-15-2007, 10:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LeslieML

13 months no close here! went it to have it revised and closed and ended up trached again.
We used an A/B monitor belt, cut it down to the width of a trache tie and put a folded 4x4 over the stoma. I will try to post a pic later.
Leslie, mother to Chris (12), Chase (3) and Chad (2) I have 3 boys cause I didn't want 4. Chase- X 31 weeker, Trachea Esophageal Fistula, Esophageal Atresia, Pyloric Stenosis, VSD, Pulmonary Stenosis, Severe malacia (90% occlusion)..one failed decann attempt
Old 07-16-2007, 07:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LeslieML

here he is with a few of the styles that he wore while decanned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0274.jpg (26.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0329.jpg (19.8 KB, 28 views)
Leslie, mother to Chris (12), Chase (3) and Chad (2) I have 3 boys cause I didn't want 4. Chase- X 31 weeker, Trachea Esophageal Fistula, Esophageal Atresia, Pyloric Stenosis, VSD, Pulmonary Stenosis, Severe malacia (90% occlusion)..one failed decann attempt
Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to Hannah&Jacobsmommy

Its been 11mo and still open. I will not let them close it this year, because last year was so bad for us.
Trina
Old 07-17-2007, 07:04 AM

OK, Allison is the odd duck here. Her stoma will close completely within 15 minutes. We had to take her to surgery to get her stoma reopened and trach put back in when she was 5 and a kid at school pulled her trach out. I think it's an individual thing-like all our kids wonderful issues! Deb
trach-decanned for good in 2008, gtube, asthma, CP, MR, GERD, latex allergy, osteopenia, aplastic cerebellum, ADHD/OCD, 60 lbs of humor and fiest, 4'4" tall, patient at Shreveport Shriners Childrens Hospital,, and I may be leaving something out but she is happy and growing and the light of our lives! DECANNED 6-17-08
[IMG]
[IMG]
Old 07-17-2007, 10:17 PM

i feel like Deb, i think its all in the kids, its really hard to say.. im sure it has to do with the stoma size as well, or if there is any extra tissue and so forth, although our Kaylie isnt decanned i do remember reading posting about other kids and how long it takes to close and some kids half to have it sugically closed..
Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 PM

good question, Luke's hasn't closed all the way and now the doctor wants us to decide weather to remove the scarring or wait. I want to wait, David wants to go ahead with the surgery.

3-2007
Old 07-19-2007, 12:36 PM

Nathaniel still has a trach but he thinks it is big fun to take it out and chew on his trach ties. He did that one night after he had been put to bed and we didn't realize it. We aren't sure exactly how long it was out but less than an hour and my daughter had alot of trouble getting it back in again. She had to use his emergency trach first.
Rachel - Grandma to Nathaniel 9-25-05, Pierre Robin Sequence, Sticklers Syndrome, Trach, Mic-key Button, Jaw Distraction (11-30-7), Decannulated 7-9-8, Retrached 12-10-8, Decannulated 9-30-9 and also Grandma to Ethan 9-7-08
Old 07-19-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariaad View Post
OK, Allison is the odd duck here. Her stoma will close completely within 15 minutes. We had to take her to surgery to get her stoma reopened and trach put back in when she was 5 and a kid at school pulled her trach out. I think it's an individual thing-like all our kids wonderful issues! Deb
I remember when that happened, time flies huh.

3-2007