I am getting into a bit of a crisis. Insurance has decided that I only need to change my trach once a month. I need 2 trachs.
I have tried to reuse trachs but every time I did I got pneumonia. We followed the sterilization procedure perfectly.
Even if I could sterilize it, there is the issue of the cuff that 'dies.' It won't stay inflated for more than 45 minutes. I cannot using a speaking valve and always need the cuff up on the vent because of a very enlarged stoma and deviated trachea. The vent doesn't give me the support I need without the cuff.
I am getting worried. This trach is making me cough and gag and increasing secretions and needs changed. This is a sign of the yeast that covers my trach after two weeks. I only have 2 trachs left-1 and my emergency 1. My trach is a special order Bivona (pediatric extended length with stoma seal)
I am really worried. I don't even have a medical caseworker! I need to change this trach...but what if I run out!!
Insurance is "reviewing" my appeal...
Is there anything I can do?!