Pediatric Tracheostomy Home Care Guide at Amazon.com

Go Back   Aaron's Tracheostomy Message Board > Pediatric Tracheostomies

Pediatric Tracheostomies For parents and caregivers of children with tracheostomies.  Please limit discussion to seeking and sharing of information pertaining to tracheostomy care, medical issues, special needs, disabilities, networking and moral support.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM

Default Bronch's??? How often after decan?

Im just curious, how often are the bronchs after the decanulation? Katie has one in the morning, and I dont know why, I just dont want her to have to go though many more of these. She does well, until she wakes up that is, then she is madder than a hornet.
She started out having them every two months, then it went to 4 months, then 6 months. Im hoping this time it will be a year or more...I am guessing she will have to have them yearly to keep an eye on things????? I dont know, but I do plan on asking the ENT...But what have you been told??

She is also having an endoscopy (spelling??) to check on her reflux. I should be going to sleep...need to get up about 4am to get to the hospital by 6am....ugggg LOL

Thanks
Patty
Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 PM

I think it might depend upon why they were trached and how they were decanned. Ayden has never had a bronch after decan in August. He does need his stoma closed, so that will hopefully happen in May and then the ENT might do a scope, but we will find out at our visit in a week or 2.

former 26 weeker -- 4/2006 -- trach, g-tube, nissen; came home 1/07 vented 24/7; Successfully decanned 8/8/2008 -
Follow decan at: http://sleepy-dogs.blogspot.com/
Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 PM

Shelby hasn't had a scope either, since her decann in March '08.
Hope

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=4acb482c.pbw
Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to faywrayy

Kate hasn't been scoped since day before decann (July 08). Her stoma still needs to be closed, so she's being scoped in April. If she's fine, he's going to close it right then. If that's the case, the CNP told me she may only need to be seen a few weeks post op and then be discharged from his care. I was suprised, I thought he might want to do yearlys for a bit. We'll see!!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 PM

Wow, that is really interesting! Katie had a double stage LTP with rib graft to correct subglottic stenosis. Our ENT does the bronchs so she can check to make sure there is no scar tissue or anything and to see how her airway is doing.

This morning, we got GREAT news! Her airway is growing right with her. The ENT was pleasantly surprised at how well Katie is doing. She uses a size appropriate tube, and we dont have to have another one for a year! YIPPEEE!! The ENT did say that Katie has tracheomalicia, but it is not symptomatic so "lets not fix what isnt broke" as she put it!

Also, this is the FIRST time that she did NOT need blow by O2 when she came back to the room! Her sats were just fine, I was astonished!!!

We are so blessed to have this little girl and for her to be doing as well as she is!

Patty
http://www.carepages.com/carepages/Katiebugspage