PDA

View Full Version : Nursing hours

3forme
11-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Need some advice from you all. We have been having nursing pretty much 24/7 for my son since he came home in Feb. My nursing benefits via my insurance ran out and we have applied and be accepted by medical.

Medical however has only approved Connor for 16 hours a day. So here is my dilemma. Both my husband and I work so we need some sleep Sunday night through Thursday night. But we also need to have some take care of him during the day.

My first thought was to change from two 12 hour shifts to two 8 hour shifts. But with travel time and so forth the day shift would need to be more like 9 or 10 hours.

Also part of my problem is my husband. He is not reliable and is no help at night. Once he is asleep he asleep, he even sleeps through his alarm in the morning unless I'm pushing him out of bed. So any night care would and has been ALL on me.

So with this being state funded should I use ALL 16 hours so they don't try to take more hours from me. Or should I cut back to one 12 hour shift during the day and change my son's night routine a bit to allow me some sleep yet be able to care for him.

Also we are looking at how many respite hours we get from the Regional center to help in the transition right now. So we may be able to get additional time.

Would love to hear your take on our change.

TIA,

Ann
11-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Amy,
I don't get night nursing, I rarely sleep through the night and I work 10+ hour days. *Obviously, I use my nursing for when I'm at work. *I get three - 11 hours days and two - 10 hour days. *I let my nurse leave early on Friday because I know it's been a long week for her. *I'm very sensitive to making sure I don't burn out Jack's nurse - we are going to need her for years to come. *I'm there when Jack's nurse gets there in the morning (for about 10 minutes) and she leaves when my husband gets home from work. We almost never have a nurse when we are home -- so, no real "respite" for us. *Recently, Jack's nurse has been working 4 hours on Sunday for us, but, I've been going into work. *It does give my husband some time to get a few things done around the house (as much as you can get done with 3 year old tagging along).

Don't know if that helped at all, but, that's our life with Jack and nursing!