PDA

View Full Version : A positive nursing story

harleykarolynmom@aol.com
02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
I just wanted to let your all knew even thought I know some of you are struggling to find good nursing but I want to give you hope. I have a great team here is an example. yesterday my nephew needed admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery today and my sister have unchangeable plans with her other children so I called my nurses to see if the could help us out with my daughter so I could help my sister. My day shift nurse stayed an extra hour a second nurse came in from 5-9pm and my night shift nurse came in 3 hours early so I knew my daughter was ok and so was my nephew. I hope this doesn't upset anyone i just thought it might help to know sometimes it does work out

dylan719
02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
It definitely does work out. We went through hell 5 years ago trying to get even halfway decent nurses to come in. We had great insurance coverage for 20 hours a day, so it should have been no problem. But because of the nursing shortage and who knows what else, everyone they sent were just completely flaky.

But once we got our team of 3-4 regular nurses in place they were amazing and even though we haven't had nursing in over 3 years we still keep in touch with most of them, and they were so great and loyal and helped us out in ways similar to what you described.

It definitely can and does improve, but it is very difficult getting there and does require a lot of patience and energy and time invested, and that's hard because I don't think any of us in this situation we're all in have a surplus of any of those things.

emily
02-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks for posting this. I get stuck on my negative nursing issues when I need to be reminded of my positive ones. I have had three nurses with me with under 10 uncovered days for the past year, two have been with me for almost 3 years. They are also willing and have gone out of their way to cover days and work with me.