PDA

View Full Version : trach cultures

lynn
03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
So, I am wondering: *(and keep in mind I have no nursing... because that seems to be part of the issue)

1. where do you get your collection containers from for doing a culture?

2. who writes the order for your culture? (for the lab to know what to do)

3. where do you take the culture to get it processed?

I am currently going around and around with multiple docs on this...(ENT, PUlmo, pedi)
I see no reason to drop everything and run to emergency dept because I see suspicious looking secreations. There is no O2, no increase in WOB, no fever, nothing out of ordinary... and Joseph is playing and looking very much like his normal self. HOWEVER last night before bed the stuff I suctioned was a little yellowish/ green... and at 3AM we had a major plug that required a trach change... after doing change got the gunk out of the trach and it was major thick and fluoresent green, 9AM another plug, but I was able to suction it out after using much saline (still green).... and now I am suctioning dark tan tinged with blood not thick anymore, just funky looking;and suctioning way more than usual. I have 2 collection containers "given" to me by an ER nurse on our last visit.. so there is no issue with getting that today~just was wondering where everyone does get them from when I need more. Also, todays plans include a hosp visit to the lab for our monthly blood draw.. so not out of my way to get to the lab... just need someone to ORDER the tests.

I just want to be proactive and nip what ever is brewing in the bud before a major ER visit is needed.

Wow, this really turned out to be long~Thanks for you thoughts!

MomofTwoBoys
03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
I usually go through our ped or pulmo.... they also supply the containers (although I've heard that isn't the norm).... in both cases we take the specimen back to the doc and they forward it to the lab. Hope he feels better (we've had alot of thick secretions that have required saline or a change lately too.... no different colors though... I attribute it to weather changes and the sprinting off the vent), good luck!

Katelyns.mom
03-09-2010, 12:44 PM
You have to convince one of the doctors to order it. What about his PCP. You should be able to just drop it by the lab when he goes for the blood draw. They should also be able to give you a few sterile containers to keep for back up.
You may be able to leave the specimen and tell them you will get a doctor to send over orders.
Good Luck!!

Ann
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I get the specimen traps from Apria; I get the script from the pediatrician or the pulmonolgist (or they fax it directly to the lab); we collect the specimen; and we drop it off at the lab.

Niff
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
We do the same as Ann. We get our specimen traps from Apria (from my understanding it's a "complimentary" product that isn't billed, but I may be mistaken). We also get traps from our trach nurse when we happen to go out to our Children's Hosp for appointments. Depending on the day of the week and what's going on, we'll get the order for the aspirit from either our trach nurse (NP), pulmonologist, or pediatrician. It's easier to get our pediatrician to write a script for the lab than have our pulmo or trach nurse fax one over, although the pediatrician wants to see Mackenzie whereas the pulmo/trach nurse are fine with us not bringing her in (2-3hr drive one way). We drop them off at the diagnostic center attached to our local hospital. Same place you would go to get lab work or xrays. I leave Mackenzie home and take it in. With ours, you register and show proof of insurance, sign consent forms, etc. Then they take you down to the lab area where I just drop it off with one of the techs.

JWorthington
03-09-2010, 04:04 PM
We always used to pick a couple of traps up whenever Sam was in the hospital. Sam had 'open access' (didn't need to go through ER) at our local hospital, so he went straight to the children's department. If he was sick I would just take a sample and drop it in and they would send it to the lab without him even needing to be admitted.

hcs_mom
03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
We would also get them from the DME company. However, one weekend (of course) we didn't have any and we were at the ped office, so we managed to use a sterile urine collection container. It was a bit of a pain in the a@@, but we did it. After we had the specimen, we folded the suction tubing in half and used the sterile saline to "wash" it out of the catheter and into the container. Total PIA, but it got the job done AND we avoided the ER.
Jen

Kate
03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Ours is hit or miss. We had a few from the hospital-now we're out. Mitchell's ped most times wants to see him if he has icky secretions. It's annoying but once in awhile he'll just let me bring him in for a "nurse visit". This involves me bringing Mitchell in-I get right into a room- ***I**** suction him and collect the sample then they bring it down. It really is pretty stupid. I believe that I could get some from DME if the ped ordered it. But-like I said Most times he wants to see him if he has goofy secretions.

drct1245
03-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Our pulm gives us the traps for the cultures - they showed us how to do it in their office. They write the script and fax it to the local quest diagnostics lab.