PDA

View Full Version : High resolution ct

LKN
03-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Has anyone had one of these done on their child without sedation or anesthesia?

We are opting to go "drug free" for Nathan's next week, but I wanted to know what to expect.

He is afraid of scans. We just got him to do xrays without crying, but a ct scan is bigger and potentially louder and we have to keep him still so the picture will be useful.

Any tips or advice? We usually bribe him with toys and candy so expects prizes/treats now!

Thanks!

JWorthington
03-03-2010, 05:08 PM
oh my Kristy, that is incredibly brave! Sam's have always been done under anaesthetic. I have no suggestions, just hope you can get him to stay calm and that it all goes well.:hug:

suzanne2545
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
So are they doing a full body scan? Why drug free?

lynn
03-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Joseph had one done in Nov... It is REALLY loud~ maybe you can get him some type of earphones and music player (ipod type?)...Also, I was in the room with him while it was being done, and I remember it was really cold in there.. I asked why and it is so the machine doesnt get too heated up. It also lasted quite a while~around 1/2 hour, and they had to strap his arms up to keep them out of the way.
He also had one done in January and it was almost the same experience, except it was quicker (10mins) because they were only looking at his kidneys. the second one he had done they had a video player attached to the top of the scanner, but we really didnt use it because Joseph's was done under sedation ...... They have to stay completely still and usually have parts of their body strapped up or down out of the way... so I opted for sedation instead of fighting him. Have you asked the radiology dept how long it will be and if they will need to restrain parts of the body out of the way? Also is it their standard procedure to do under sedation? Our local hosp wont even consider trying w/o some type of sedation under the age of 5 (and even then they really like you to consider using it)

LKN
03-04-2010, 09:02 AM
No drugs because he just doesn't like to take them. He is very, very independent and is at that stage in development where he wants to help with his care. His version of helping is to "discuss" with the doctors the medicine they give him and what it will do. His "decision" this time is to try it without medicine first...

He is having the scan on his lungs only. Even though his tests for reflux, aspiration, etc. were completley normal, they are still concerned about the recurrent pneumonias (3 from October to February and one URI in November that required the same meds as the pneumonia!). They are letting us have it done at home so we don't have to travel.

Good to know it will be loud. He had one or two while he was trached, but I must've blocked the memories!

We have called the hospital and let them know his history--they will be prepared with the drugs (and a thorough explanation for him) if we need to do something to keep him still.

Kate
03-04-2010, 01:40 PM
We did this not to long ago-I was shocked that they didn't use drugs-they said that they rarely do. Huh. I thought-ya, good luck. It really wasn't bad at all. It was actually fairly quick-they did strap him down which was the worse. I sung to Mitchell during it-we did the ABCs and the nurses were GREAT. Does he have a relaxing song he likes? Mitchell's is the ABCs for some reason. Singing helped-but he loves music. Good luck. I honestly still don't know how we did it, I credit the nurses a lot.

LKN
03-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks, Kate. Nathan is also not a big fan of the straps to hold him down, but I wouldn't be either! He does love singing. I will either sing to him or bring my ipod with "Wicked"--his new favorite. Great ideas!

Wooders80
03-04-2010, 02:35 PM
We had to do this when Dominic was just over one, he was too ill to have an anaesthetic, and instead had melatonin (ok, a slight sedative, but not very strong). Anyway, Dominic woke up the minute they moved his cot from the ward and I ended up having to sing to calm him down in the CT scanner room. It worked, kept him quiet and still and I convinced myself that the doctors and nurses behind the screen couldn't hear me! I have no memory of the CT scanner being noisy either. My only thought would be I think a CT scan is a lot of radiation, and if he does not keep still, you could end up with rubbish images and having to repeat. Good luck, and tell me about independent children, Dominic wants to do everything by himself at the moment.

LKN
03-04-2010, 02:41 PM
When is Dominic's birthday? They are the same age. Nathan is also a September guy!

Wooders80
03-05-2010, 02:01 PM
16th Sept - what about Nathan? He was decannulated on 16th Feb too - so I think 16 is his lucky number!