PDA

View Full Version : tongue placement when eatting

lynn
02-21-2010, 03:57 PM
So... I have really been working on feeding lately with Joseph because he seems to WANT to eat.. when we set the table for dinner.. he runs circles around it and yells Eat Eat Eat... and must be put up into his chair at the table.. I noticed when he takes a bite though(only yogurt so far) he puts his tongue up to the roof of his mouth so the food actualy is going under his tongue.. any advice on how to retrain him to take a bite? I keep telling him tongue down and I push the spoon off the top of his tongue.. but was wondering if anyone knows of any excercises/ therapy info to help out with this. :confused:

Niff
02-21-2010, 06:17 PM
We had the same problems when first introducing purees with Mackenzie. Our ST (who really isn't the greatest) told us to use the spoon and force the tongue down. I think Joseph's old enough that you could tell him and show him with your own mouth??

bryantem
02-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Maybe have him stick his toungue out?

kadiera
02-21-2010, 08:56 PM
one therapist here said to get the spoon in and then tap it on the tongue.

But I think you may be better off just showing him, and using a mirror so he can see what he's doing.

drct1245
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
I agree, try playing with the spoon when he isn't eating. Also, we play dip, dip, dip with yogurt and pudding so that Ayden dips his finger in the food and then "wipes" it on his tongue.

We also play "find it" where I put a dot of food (or we use a z-vibe) on the outside of his mouth and his tongue has to find it. There are all sorts of games a feeding therapist can play get his tongue "working" correctly. It amazed me!

Do you have a feeding therapist or a speech therapist who is familiar with working on getting the tongue moving?

lynn
02-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Do you have a feeding therapist or a speech therapist who is familiar with working on getting the tongue moving?

nope we dont have any feeding therapy,...the speech therapist we have is primarily sign/AAC device....we had discussed feeding therapy when writing his IEP.. but at that time he was so anti -eatting I didnt want to push him.. he previously had an OT working with feeding and it was such torture for him I really think it set him back instead of helping...I may ask if it can be added to his IEP when it comes up for review depending on how he seems to be progressing and how he seems to feel about eatting

I figured in the meantime I would ask the other experts here who have been thru this :p

the find it game sounds like it may help.. and also having him lick it off a finger (probably have to use mine though cause he wont touch anything gooey)

drct1245
02-21-2010, 10:54 PM
.... he previously had an OT working with feeding and it was such torture for him I really think it set him back instead of helping...I may ask if it can be added to his IEP when it comes up for review depending on how he seems to be progressing and how he seems to feel about eatting

the find it game sounds like it may help.. and also having him lick it off a finger (probably have to use mine though cause he wont touch anything gooey)

Oh that sucks that the OT set him back. I don't know if I would trust our school district for the feeding therapy. :o The OT we had made a game out of EVERYTHING and every step was itty bitty, although Ayden would tease us and make some big leaps only to settle back where he was...lol.

Oh and Ayden used to freak about anything on his fingers and now by playing the dip game, he is able to feel in control of what goes in his mouth and what he touches. :) If he gets food on his hands, he just licks it off (which is good at home... but not so sure about the outside world...haha).

Good luck... I am sure you will get lots more ideas too.

lynn
02-21-2010, 11:03 PM
. I don't know if I would trust our school district for the feeding therapy. :o
I am only thinking of allowing the school to help with feeding because
he is getting home based school right now (because of his transplant status) so I will be right here and would stop anything I didnt like or felt was going to harm more than hurt my progress.

KJKK8437
02-22-2010, 06:59 AM
OTs and SLPs are qualified in different areas of feeding therapy. I'm no expert in either, or in Joseph, but I am wondering if part of the issue was that Joseph needs the kind of skills an SLP would bring rather than an OT?

As I understand it (which may not be exactly right) once you are no longer talking about sensory issues, an SLP with feeding experience is usually more qualified.