PDA

View Full Version : Sippy cup help

lynn
02-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Joseph is totally oral... he drinks from a bottle and will only drink formula or water. I want to start trying to get him to take at least water from a glass(more so he doesnt stand out so much as a baby during school, playdates ect) My big problem is his OT tortured him so much with sippy cups, straw cups, even cups w/o lids on them that he wont even try... he cries if I even place a sippy on the table or near him in the room. He does "play" drink with an empty open top cup but if I put any thing in it he shakes the glass until it is empty without ever attempting to place it by his mouth.

Any suggestions on how to try to introduce a sippy or straw cup without the terror tantrums begining? I have tried other sippys of different shapes /colors in case he was associating the cups his therapist used with the ones I have at home.

kadiera
02-17-2010, 01:38 PM
What about a sport bottle?

Letting him pick out the pattern may help too.

We've debated trying this with Alexander; he's ok with his sippy cups, but doesn't *like* them - he prefers his bottle. We're not convinced he's coordinated enough to try a regular cup yet. But he found sports bottles in one of the cabinets and was quite taken with trying to drink out of them, even with no water....

LKN
02-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Have you tried the metal cups/bottles? The brand we love is this: http://mysigg.com/

The kid cups don't have straws or look like a sippy--they are more like adult water bottles.

Is he tempted by juice? You could try to "bribe" him with that. I totally understand having a milk addicted child. Nathan is 4 1/2 and only just started enjoying juice--maybe once every couple of weeks!

The cups have worked for us. They do not leak and they are not like sippy cups. Nathan thinks he is a "big boy" to use them.

Caty
02-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Along the same line as the Sigg bottles, there are Kleen Kanteen (http://www.kleankanteen.com/). I think the Sigg are alumunim and the Kanteen are stainless steel. The Kanteens have sport caps and for the narrow neck bottles, they have adapters for the Avent Sippy spouts (http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/kid/kid-kanteen-sippy-classic.html). Nate loves his and takes it to school every day (even though he doesn't really drink that much).

suzanne2545
02-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Letting him pick one out may be a big start! Good luck. He may just be haunted for awhile. That said, subtle peer pressure may be what pushes him over the edge when he sees what his friends and peers do in school.

lynn
02-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Letting him pick one out may be a big start! Good luck. He may just be haunted for awhile. That said, subtle peer pressure may be what pushes him over the edge when he sees what his friends and peers do in school.

I have thought about this too... I even debated asking my older girls and using a sippy myself.:p I wish he would try anything to drink... I have been using just water, because of the messiness, but maybe if I use some formula he will use a cup?? Although at this point he wont even pick it up let alone try it to see what is in it.....

He is supposed to drink as much fluids as he can; and I have tried Juice, tea, and lemonaid in his bottle.. he wont drink~as soon as he takes the first suck and realizes what it is he throws it. (and it is becoming that way with water too... so now I just add the extra water he is required to drink daily into his formula)

bryantem
02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
We use the munchkin cups- Addy likes those the best because they are a soft spout and the closest to a bottle that I can find.

KJKK8437
02-17-2010, 06:00 PM
I had two thoughts.

First, have you looked at the Nuby cup with the soft spout? They keep changing it around, but you can usually buy versions without the handles, or the handles can be removed. I think they look a bit less like a regular sippy cup, but more importantly, you can buy either nipple/bottle type or spout/sippy type tops. Both are flexible, not hard.

My second thought is more of a question. When they were working on straw cups, did they try the Honey Bear? If not, there are some benefits to that one, too, in that it doesn't look at all like a traditional cup.

kadiera
02-17-2010, 06:47 PM
I had two thoughts.
First, have you looked at the Nuby cup with the soft spout? They keep changing it around, but you can usually buy versions without the handles, or the handles can be removed. I think they look a bit less like a regular sippy cup, but more importantly, you can buy either nipple/bottle type or spout/sippy type tops. Both are flexible, not hard.

This is the kind we finally got Alexander to take - they're a lot like his NUK bottle nipples in size. And....they have bottles with a nipple, sippy lid, and "straw" lid - so it might help with the transitions a bit too.

Niff
02-19-2010, 08:54 PM
We also use the NUK sippy. It was the only one Mackenzie would take. She also had a fear of sippies, and I think the soft nipple of the NUK is what helped.

I would probably stick with formula in it if that's what his preference is. You can always dump it in a bottle if he doesn't like the cup. And I'd probably give him a significant break from seeing any cups. Maybe he'll forget that he hates them if he doesn't see them for a while. ;)

I know he's a boy, but have you ever had him try feeding a (boy) doll? A lot of our success with yogurt/pudding was because we taught Mackenzie how to feed a doll. She'd take her spoon or cup and put it to the baby's mouth, and we'd say "yummie yummie yummie! thank you!" and make a big deal out of it. She loved the attention and encouragement. She learned that food wasn't all bad.

lynn
02-19-2010, 10:52 PM
I would probably stick with formula in it if that's what his preference is. You can always dump it in a bottle if he doesn't like the cup. And I'd probably give him a significant break from seeing any cups. Maybe he'll forget that he hates them if he doesn't see them for a while. ;)

I know he's a boy, but have you ever had him try feeding a (boy) doll? A lot of our success with yogurt/pudding was because we taught Mackenzie how to feed a doll. She'd take her spoon or cup and put it to the baby's mouth, and we'd say "yummie yummie yummie! thank you!" and make a big deal out of it. She loved the attention and encouragement. She learned that food wasn't all bad.

it has been since oct since I really tried any feeding/drinking therapy(when he turned 3 and EI stopped).... he has been playing with his trach monkey and his dino.. alot lately and was feeding them yesterday after he stole a spoon and bowl out of the dishwasher I was unloading.. I gave him a small plastic spoon and one of his little bowl.. so he has really been roleplaying... I guess I will give him a cup too to give to eek eek(monkeys name)

hcs_mom
02-21-2010, 08:55 AM
I had two thoughts.

We used the Nuby for Hannah as well. The other thing that we did when we used other sippy cups (when she finally accepted them) was take out the valve. She HATED the valves. Messy? Yes. But so worth it.