PDA

View Full Version : do you have a trach and gtube?

MRSJOH
02-15-2010, 02:51 PM
whenever you get a tracheitis, and the secretions and/or gauze turns green under the trach, do you also notice green secretions on the gauze from the gtube ?
just seeing if anyone else experiences that as well, we are starting cipro again today, it usually clears it

sofiasmom
02-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Yes. We were told by our surgeon who put in Sofia's mickey button that the secretions around the button will be gross if she's battling an infection - and that includes tracheitis. We have found that to be true and look for it as a warning sign.

angelbaby
02-15-2010, 05:44 PM
i am thinking it sounds like it is pseudomonas, not trachietis, for us in the past pseudomonas has distinct smell and bright green on the gauze, i guess it would be possible to have it both places, but have you vented the tube? does he have a lot of green bile? sometimes other illness, or a tummy bug can make more bile in the tummy, just some thoughts....

MRSJOH
02-15-2010, 06:41 PM
yes it is pseudomonas, i always used that word interchangably with tracheitis :blush: i thought it was the same, it's colonized in j's trach so we get it a lot

twintotwin
02-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Ditto Angelbaby!
Motility slows up w/infection and that'll cause problems at the GT site.

babybear
02-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Gabriel has Pseudomonas colonized in his trach, but I've never noticed green secretions from his g-tube site. I'm surprised, too, since his g-tube is always leaking gross stuff!

Niff
02-16-2010, 04:09 PM
I really doubt you can have the same exact infection in both sites unless it started at the gtube and someone touched it, then touched the trach. They're two seperate body systems, so they really don't share many germs.

The one and only time we've ever had bright green yuckies around the gtube was when Mackenzie had a stomach bug. That was our first tip off. It's entirely possible that he has 2 different infections going on at the same time.

It's also possible, like Kerry said, for his gastric motility to slow down during an infection... which leads to gtube issues.