PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a babysitter?

bryantem
02-13-2010, 08:03 PM
I came across a database in my area for childcare providers in my area and there is a section for special needs. Most have experience with gtubes, some are former RN's that can no longer work due to medical issues and some have experience working in group homes. I am considering finding Addisyn a sitter for the fall so maybe I can attend a daytime class as opposed to all night classes. Now, I might find one for a couple hours a weel for her to get aquainted and it will give me time to study. I would have the person come to my house while I am there, so it will be 100% supervised, almost like it would be if I had nursing. I am not sure if I want to do this. it is just a thought.

KJKK8437
02-13-2010, 08:10 PM
I basically hired and trained a seasoned nanny with minimal medical experience (but some generalized "special needs" experience). I almost hired a former nurse before I found the woman we eventually did hire. I think if the situation is right, and you are comfortable, go for it. Maybe Arizona has a respite program under Medicaid you can use to partially reimburse the cost?

lynn
02-13-2010, 08:13 PM
that sounds like a nice database.. I wish I could find someone to sit with Joseph.. I may start trying to look for someone once the weather gets better.. I love being his full time caregiver; but would love to have a little break once in a while.

bryantem
02-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Karin, Addisyn doesn't get medicaid. I am not sure if she qualifies for it, as i never completed the application.

Lynn, here is the database. It looks like it is nationwide.

http://www.care.com/special-needs-p1162.html

drct1245
02-13-2010, 09:18 PM
We have a family friend with no medical experience that watches Ayden (she also watch him just before he got his trach out). We didn't have enough nurses to cover, so we hired her. With the right person, it's doable. Also, you might try posting at a local college for someone going to school for nursing.

PS - Watch your credit card for fraud, if you use the site. I was using them to try and find a PT nanny to watch Ayden and the 2 times I used my credit card, I ended up with some bogus charges.

Ainsley's Mom
02-13-2010, 09:33 PM
I haven't but I think that's a great idea to try it out while you are home. Bottom line, if you can find someone you like, they know what to do in an emergency, know CPR and can put a trach back in if it comes out and you trust the person then that is a good option to try.

suzanne2545
02-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Go for it. Remember, YOU had to learn all this so anyone else who responsible and teachable can do this too. Of course, we are always a little more invested in our own children but . . .

KJKK8437
02-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Karin, Addisyn doesn't get medicaid. I am not sure if she qualifies for it, as i never completed the application.

Lynn, here is the database. It looks like it is nationwide.

http://www.care.com/special-needs-p1162.html

We enrolled using a respite care waiver and hired the nanny as our personal attendant. We didn't otherwise qualify.

Ann
02-14-2010, 06:29 PM
We enrolled using a respite care waiver and hired the nanny as our personal attendant. We didn't otherwise qualify.

There is no wavier program in Arizona. Don't really need it because Medicaid here is based on the child's income not the parents. Qualifying for Medicaid in Arizona is dependent on the child's medical condition. Unfortunately, having "just" a trach won't qualify a child for Medicaid in Arizona.

bryantem
02-14-2010, 09:05 PM
There is no wavier program in Arizona. Don't really need it because Medicaid here is based on the child's income not the parents. Qualifying for Medicaid in Arizona is dependent on the child's medical condition. Unfortunately, having "just" a trach won't qualify a child for Medicaid in Arizona.

That is one BIG reason why I never completed the paperwork for Addisyn to have Medicaid (Long Term Care) My thoughts were that they would look at the application and say, "Well, they've been doing it this long without help." I didn't want to sign a release for the government to have access to all of Addisyn's medical records for something with will most likely not get- especially since they are cutting the number of people that qualify by 25%. Call me paranoid or whatever, but I was just not comfortable with the government getting involved in Addisyn's care, especially when we have been doing fine since she came home.

Ann
02-14-2010, 09:30 PM
That is one BIG reason why I never completed the paperwork for Addisyn to have Medicaid (Long Term Care) My thoughts were that they would look at the application and say, "Well, they've been doing it this long without help."

Actually, I think they only look for specific diagnoses (if you are qualifying on the basis of medical condition and not income). You have to have one of the following to qualify for Medicaid (through DDD) based on medical condition: MR (mental retardation), CP, Epilepsy or Autism. It's ridiculously narrow criteria, but "fortunately" Jack qualifies.

bryantem
02-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Addisyn has DDD because she is at risk due to her developmental delay. She does not get medicaid through them. They only pick up the therapies that insurance doesn't cover. They started the paperwork for ALTCCS for her, but I never completed it. At this point, she was already a year old. We don't need nursing, however it would have been great a year ago when we first brought her home. It was intense and overwhelming, but we only got crappy visiting nurses that weighed her and left.