PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in hospital

Christamae
02-12-2010, 10:06 PM
I am in the hospital. My port came back infected with gram negative bacteria. So, the port came out last night. The procedure itself went well. The surgeon and anesthesologist. were awesome. They took time time to answer all the questions I had. They even agreed to do the surgery in my wheelchair. And they used sedation/disassociation/pain meds instead of general anesthesia. Much better for my lungs. Now port-less I face a new problem: finishing my IV antibiotics. My veins are very small, weak, and finicky. It has to last atleast one to two weeks. Actually longer. I have to finish the antibiotics (1-2 weeks). I also have to have three negative blood cultures in a row. These also involve needle sticks. My poor veins haven't recovered from the last stay...Then I have another surgery to insert a broviac, let that heal, and have Dad trained on it. I figure I have at least two weeks in house. I have no idea what I am going to do about school...I am currently in isolation because my respiratory tests checking for viruses haven't come back. I just feel totally weak and empty of all energy. The fact that for the first 24 hours I was over dosed on pain meds(10 mg instead of 1 mg) didn't help. You can send a note or gift to my room.

Oella Christamae Zimpel
PICU Bed 2
UCSF Children's Hospital
505 Parnassus Ave., Box 0290
San Francisco, CA 94143-0290

or enter the note on this form
http://www.ucsfchildrenshospital.org/send_a_patient_a_message/index.html

jamie
02-12-2010, 10:55 PM
christamae i am so sorry you are to be stuck in the hospital. my son was in ucdavis in sacramento for seven months much of the time in isolation it was very lonely, boring and stressful.
i understand too about your veins, evan was a pin cushion by the time he was released he has so many scars from iv gone bad but his pic line could not be used anymore.
you are very strong and we will be praying for you.

TommysDad
02-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Oh poor thing! My heart goes out to you! I hate isolation, and I hate needs even more!!!

As for your schooling, the hospital has teachers. They should still be able to gown-up and come in to teach you your lessons if you have the energy & want them to come in for schooling. And there's always on-line/e-mailed lesson plans that by law you are entitled too if you want to take advantage of your educational rights. But first and foremost is your health. You are there to rest & recover, after all.

I just hope & pray you get better ASAP!!!

:hug: :hug: Maggie

JWorthington
02-13-2010, 12:21 PM
urgh, so sorry you are isolated! Hope you are much better, and your veins recover soon xx

Ainsley's Mom
02-13-2010, 12:41 PM
:hug: I'm sorry things are not easier for you! I'll be thinking of you and hoping to hear some good news! More :hug:'s.

lynn
02-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Hope you can get out of isolation and feel better soon.