PDA

View Full Version : Random Thought: Can you blow up a balloon with a trach?

Niff
02-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I was watching Yo Gaba Gaba with Mackenzie earlier and they were blowing up balloons. It made me wonder if you can blow up a balloon with a trach?

Logically, I'm thinking as long as you exhale through the trach and inhale through your nose.... but can you direct the airflow past the trach during inhalation?

In my mind, I can't imagine making much progress because you would exhale into the balloon and then inhale everything you just put in.

Anyone else have some theories?

alizesmom
02-09-2010, 06:03 PM
First thought: you have too much time on your hands.
Second thought: I'll be awake half the night trying to figure it out!
:p Karen

Ainsley's Mom
02-09-2010, 06:04 PM
:rofl: If one was inclined to blow up a balloon despite having a trach, and was fool enough not to use one of those balloon blower-uppers. I think you could

1)Hold the balloon to the mouth
2)Inhale though the trach
3)Cover the trach and hold the breath
4)Blow the air out the mouth into the balloon - This is assuming you have enough of an airway to exhale via mouth
5)Repeat and hope you don't pass out!

KJKK8437
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Exhale, pinch the balloon closed with your fingers, gasp for breath, reopen balloon, and keep going? That's pretty much the way I blow up balloons with my mouth. I can't easily inhale through my nose while doing it because it makes me too dizzy too fast. :p :p

kadiera
02-09-2010, 06:06 PM
With a PMV, it'd be much like blowing up a balloon without a trach.

Without....I suppose if you had a balloon with a big enough opening, you could put it over the trach and blow......

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Well I was thinking why not use the the trach itself?!?! Celia blows out her bday candle by blowing out her trach,,she blows napkins and paper across the counter,,and she blows bubbles all with her trach!!!

jamie
02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
This is why I love you guys, i gave this idea to Evan and now have a room full of blown up rubber gloves. so yes he can do both with his mouth or his trach.

Niff
02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
This is why I love you guys, i gave this idea to Evan and now have a room full of blown up rubber gloves. so yes he can do both with his mouth or his trach.

How does he do it with his trach? Can he give us a play-by-play? :o

Alex's mom
02-09-2010, 07:50 PM

OMG I'm dying over here! Too funny!!! :rofl:

lynn
02-09-2010, 08:12 PM

More importantly than play by play... can you show us video?? :D

TommysDad
02-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Seeing as Tommy can't blow out his mouth at all, we have modified cheep, plastic toy instruments with the vent HME. He makes lots of music. Don't see why we couldn't attach the vent HME to his trach & have him blow balloons just like others have suggested. But I'd watch out for those latex balloons that have that powder inside them:sick: That can't be good getting into the lungs.

~Maggie

Melisande
02-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Did you guys ever check out this dude? Weird, but kind of funny!:rolleyes:

http://home.att.net/~jnozum/Trach/Funny.htm

Caty
02-10-2010, 02:09 PM
:rofl: This is hilarious. I'm going to see if I can get Nate to do it!

twintotwin
02-10-2010, 04:05 PM
First thing that came to mind was that dude, Mel! That's freaky.

My little figther
02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
:o The whole post is too funny - Thanks guys for the good laugh