PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Feed + Active Toddler = ???

Niff
02-07-2010, 08:48 PM
As of Wednesday, Mackenzie will be on a continuous feed because of her nissen. We've been told that she will be on a continuous feed for about 6-8 weeks before we're granted permission to start grouping feeds together and getting her back to her regular regimen. I've talked with our GI nurse practitioner about possibly attempting oral feeds sooner than 6 weeks out of fear of creating another oral aversion, and she agreed that we may tinker with the oral feeding sooner.

My question is how the heck do you let a budding toddler roam and play while attached to a pump? We have a small infinity travel backpack to put the pump and feeding bag in... but I'm conserned about her pulling. Help??

scm
02-07-2010, 09:25 PM
we used the infinity backpack. Just hooked him up and let him go! Luckily he never tried to take it off or anything.:eek:

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Celia had her nissen when she was 4months old and we didn't do continuous feeds after hers but remember that was almost 12 years ago so things may have changed. I think all you can do it put the back pack on here and let it go,,you can tape the tube to her stomach so that if it does get tugged on it doesn't pull on the button itself.

drct1245
02-08-2010, 12:11 AM
I wonder why they want you on continuous feeds... Ayden was much younger when he had his 2nd nissen - 9 mo old, so it's not quite the same. Prior to his nissen we had to slow down feeds but that was because he was vomiting at every feed because he blew his nissen. However, he was back on his normal feeding schedule with in 2 days.

I wonder what kids like Ainsley (only one I could think of off the top of my head), who were much older and didn't have a nissen before, experienced as far as a protocol. I would hate for you to torture yourself and Mackenzie, if you don't have to. Hope it goes smooth and it's uneventful!! :)

Lifeisgood
02-08-2010, 07:30 AM
We've been on/off continuous feeds for what feels like forever. Harlie is very active and so far, so good. She doesn't pull at it and it hasn't gotten caught on anything. I put as much of the tubing as I can in the backpack (Zevex Infinity here, too) so there's less hanging around.

Yet with a nissen and continuous feeds, she still throws up several times a day!

Good luck with everything!
~Christy

mum2dylan
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Dylan had his nissens this time last year when he was nearly 17 months...he was on continued feeding for a few days then as tolerated we would up the rate slightly & give an hours break every 4-5 hours..then a day or 2 later up rate again & give 2 hours break every 4-5 hours..till a month later back to 4 bolus feeds...but dylan did gag & retch alot so 6 weeks after nissens started to vomit again getting worse over the following weeks..even with farrell bags..our saving grace was switching to 10 hour continued night feeds and 2 small bolus feeds during daytime after reconstruction in august..he rarely vomits now except when sick & has a cough..but it also frees up some quality free time during the daytime..hope this helps..PS..we were only giving the larger backpack for pump so wasnt suitable for him to carry.

Niff
02-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I wonder why they want you on continuous feeds... Ayden was much younger when he had his 2nd nissen - 9 mo old, so it's not quite the same. Prior to his nissen we had to slow down feeds but that was because he was vomiting at every feed because he blew his nissen. However, he was back on his normal feeding schedule with in 2 days.

I wonder what kids like Ainsley (only one I could think of off the top of my head), who were much older and didn't have a nissen before, experienced as far as a protocol. I would hate for you to torture yourself and Mackenzie, if you don't have to. Hope it goes smooth and it's uneventful!! :)

For our hospital, their standard protocol post nissen is a continuous feed for 6 weeks. They're thought is that it allows the stomach to heal and the body to tolerate boluses better. They've found that if they start bolus feeds too soon, the kiddos start retching and don't stop.... the longer they prolong the boluses the better... in their experience.

kirafaesmom
02-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Our surgeon said we could go pretty much directly back to bolus feedings immediately, however, I chose to wait. It seems to make more sense to me to allow the body time to heal a bit......

Ainsley's Mom
02-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Yes, we did do continuous for awhile, then we went to small frequent boluses. It was about 6-8 weeks until we were given the okay to do our normal thing. It was a pain but I understand the logic. Since the stomach is stressed you let it heal. Plus if there are no urps or vomits you know that it was successful. But the main reason I think is that that the stomach capacity is reduced some because it is wrapped around the esophagus. So feeding the normal amount would overfill it. And you risk a bloated feeling tummy and possible retching. And you don't want that because it can "break" the wrap. I thought it was silly at the time but I'd have to say this cautious approach makes sense to me (now that I'm not being inconvenienced by it). ;)

And I've seen kids wear their backpacks at preschool happily with no issues. It's not so great for a kid with low tone because of the extra weight but you don't have that problem.