PDA

View Full Version : reactions to flu shot?

MRSJOH
02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
just talked with dr, and we are just watching it for now, we have apts tmorrow am too..

but Jasper cannot tolerate AT all his sprint off the vent, his sats drop immediately and his lungs sound coarse, and his temp is low, 35.6

anyone have these symptoms from the flu shots? this is round 2 of h1n1 and seasonal, he had no symptoms with the first round

lynn
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Joseph did not have a reaction to the H1n1 or seasonal flu.... however when he was sick last month with pneumonia; he could not tolerate being off vent at all..it is usually my first sign that something is going on... if you are going tomorrow I would definately ask for him to be all checked out.

bryantem
02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Addisyn had no reactions to the flu shots.

kadiera
02-04-2010, 01:30 PM
We didn't have any issues with the flu shots, but that doesn't mean that Jasper couldn't be having a reaction - though it doesn't really sound like a reaction to them to me.

Alexander had a handful of low temps and lots of coarse/wheezy/tight episodes with an ear infection last week. We'd all been sick earlier in the month, and he'd gotten somewhat better, and then worse, and that worsening was the ear infection.

And definitely - if he was tolerating his sprint before, and isn't now, I'd be on the lookout for some sort of germs somewhere.

Niff
02-04-2010, 01:55 PM
The low grade temp could be related, but his inability to tolerate being off the vent doesn't sound like a reaction to the shots, IMO. Of course every child is different, so don't rule it out as an option. I'd be more inclined to request a trach aspirit and see if he has anything growing... and a chest xray. There might be a different bug going on and it's just a coincidence of timing.

Do you have any albuterol or xoponex? Not sure what your protocol is, but it's worth a try to see if that helps open him up.

hcs_mom
02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Hannah has reactions to EVERY vaccine we give her. When she was much younger, we would see an increase in her O2 requirement for a couple of days, she would get wheezy, etc. Now that she's older we mostly see just the wheezy stuff.

How long ago was the shot(s)? With Hannah, her reactions hit right at the 24 hour mark post shot.

Hope he's doing better soon!
Jennie

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
02-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Celia had no reaction hers.

sarah78
02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Nadia (and a couple of other children in uk I know) didn't have any reaction to 1st shot of swine flu vaccine but a severe reaction to second. Nadia developed fever of 40 degrees, low sats, vomiting and cold like symptoms. Fever came down pretty quickly and took several days for her to get back to normal!