PDA

View Full Version : Switching Jobs

bryantem
02-04-2010, 12:30 AM
My husband is contemplating looking for a new job. I am not too happy with the prospect since he has awesome benefits that cover Addisyn's needs 100%. Has anyone went through an insurance change before? What did you do during the gap of insurance?

Ann
02-04-2010, 12:45 AM
We've gone through many job changes and insurance changes over the years. In some cases, we had to COBRA Jack and in other cases the new insurance picked up where the prior insurance left off so there was no lapse in coverage. My husband has always worked for large corporations so insurance has always been decent (and in some cases, excellent). The transition from one insurance to the next has never really been a huge hassle for us.

Jacob's Mom
02-04-2010, 11:02 AM
We've been through a few job changes and several more insurance changes - mostly from one policy to another within the same company. We've had COBRA coverage, too. It has never really been a hassle and DME companies and doctors have always been really good about helping us out during any gaps or transitions. Good luck!!

Garrett
02-04-2010, 11:33 AM
We are going through an insurance change right now. Getting prior approval for everything from the new insurance has been our biggest hassle. I have found that everyone tries to be helpful though - none of Garrett's equipment has left our house while payment is being worked out and we have been able to work through some issues with his medications as well.

Good luck!

Niff
02-04-2010, 03:02 PM
We're in the process of switching over. What I've noticed is that you can pick an "effective" date. For us, the effective date on the policy we're switching to is dated for when I first filled out the paperwork. I'm not sure what the insurance laws are for when/how far you can backdate that sort of thing. My understanding is that while she may not "officially" have coverage for X weeks (or days), when she DOES become official and have an ID number the insurance will back pay to the effective date. You would just need to work with your providers on payments for services inbetween. You own most of your equipment now, right?

Just make sure there's no TRUE gap inbetween one insurance and another. As others clued me in on, that's where they can zing you for "pre existing condition" and refuse to pay for treatment.

drct1245
02-04-2010, 07:19 PM
I went through a change and we just purchased COBRA for Ayden since we knew he was going to have surgery. You can also time it so that you don't have to COBRA. Usually you prepay for your premiums, so your old job can cover you for a week or so...if you time it right. In addition, some companies start benefits almost immediately.

haikumama
02-04-2010, 11:19 PM
We are going through an insurance change right now. Getting prior approval for everything from the new insurance has been our biggest hassle.

Ugh, yes to this. We recently switched our primary insurance and we have just had the worst time with things like Synagis and Tobi needing prior auths and the insurance company dragging on and on to where we almost miss the next dose. It has been especially bad with the Synagis.

My advice is to really, really stay on top of anything that needs prior approval. And if anyone says it's all taken care of, keep calling to make sure. The Synagis fiasco over here had me pulling my hair out for weeks.