PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrgh! Fever Again!


Ainsley's Mom
02-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Ainsley's new tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy/vocal cord lasering is supposed to happen on Monday. This is the THIRD date. And wouldn't you know it she came down with a fever yesterday. :hairpull: I think it's a virus because I have a slightly sore throat and a low grade fever. Hopefully it's that and it stays as a minor thing and goes away in plenty of time for the surgery on Monday. It seems that this particular surgery is destined not to happen. It's been a year of trying to get it to happen. They finally agreed in AUGUST. My fingers are crossed that we still make the date but with only 5 days to go I'm a little nervous right now. :waiting:

sarah78
02-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Hugs....these things always seem to come at the wrong time. We're on our second virus since new year and the weight is falling off her.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that lasering goes ahead and that it works... could be something that we can try when Nadia is bigger!

x

lynn
02-03-2010, 04:06 PM
hope she is feeling better by Monday.... seems like these kids just know when they have something scheduled and try to get out of it :p

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
02-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Oh man!! Serious prayers!!! Man what is trying to keep her from having this surgery!?!?!?

Ainsley's Mom
02-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Oh man!! Serious prayers!!! Man what is trying to keep her from having this surgery!?!?!?

No kidding! My current plan is to wait until tomorrow morning. If she still has a fever I'll call and see if we can get a date swap with another family. Hopefully it'll be enough time and they don't end up asking us to wait 3 weeks post fever (which in cold/flu season with a trach kid may never happen). She's acting totally normal and happy, just has the temp of 101 (which I'm not medicating, hoping it does it's job of killing off the virus). I just hope I'm not wrong and it turns out to be an ear infection....again. It shouldn't be since she's been well up til now. And I thoroughly checked the incision from her Jan brow surgery for any redness and it looks fine.

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
02-03-2010, 10:40 PM
I sure hope that it is all gone or the surgery date can be swap easily!!! Sometimes don't you wish you could just call and say "hurry she is well,,get us in there now!!" We have never had the problems you guys have with having to reschedule a bunch but there has been a time or two and I always wish I could call them and tell them to hurry while she is healthy!!!

Ainsley's Mom
02-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I can't believe I'm in this position AGAIN?! :hairpull: Now it's Thursday afternoon. And her temp is 99.9. She's still acting totally fine. If you didn't take her temp you'd never know there was a problem. But what if it developes into a cough after the fever is gone? How do you know? Because it could just go away and everything will be fine. Am I just being stubborn? Should I just call and reschedule "just in case"? I so don't want to wait. Her whole future is riding on this surgery and every time it's postponed I just start the counting all over again!!! Plus more time missed from school & therapy.....argggh!

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
02-04-2010, 07:08 PM
I guess I would wait till Fri last minute to cancel if she is still not 100% by then! UGH I am so sorry!! How frustrating!!!:hug:

lynn
02-04-2010, 07:52 PM
I'd wait and see what happens on Friday.. I hate trying to postpone and reschedule too.. you never know if /when they will be well enough for it.

hcs_mom
02-05-2010, 08:40 AM
I think I'd wait it out too. Praying that this all settles down and you can finally proceed!

Hugs to both of you!:hug:
Jennie

LittleBee
02-05-2010, 09:12 AM
This stinks! How is Ainsley doing today? If you really think they can reschedule Ainsley soon you could do it today. Or if not, then why not wait and see if you have to cancel on Monday. Luke's docs have done surgery when he had a low-grade temp a day or two before. But since this a tonsillectomy I know you might not want to chance that she will have a cough with it.

Sorry you are having to go through this... We did this for a long time (still do, come to think of it) with Luke's nose, so I know exactly what you mean about starting the countdown again. I hope things have cleared up today and Ainsley is able to have her surgery.

Ainsley's Mom
02-05-2010, 04:04 PM
This stinks! How is Ainsley doing today? If you really think they can reschedule Ainsley soon you could do it today. Or if not, then why not wait and see if you have to cancel on Monday. Luke's docs have done surgery when he had a low-grade temp a day or two before. But since this a tonsillectomy I know you might not want to chance that she will have a cough with it.

Sorry you are having to go through this... We did this for a long time (still do, come to think of it) with Luke's nose, so I know exactly what you mean about starting the countdown again. I hope things have cleared up today and Ainsley is able to have her surgery.

So now it's 1:00 and her temp is 99.6 with the ear thermometer but when I take it rectally it is normal or 98.7. I'm expecting a call back from the PASS clinic (when they called with the surgery info I was honest about the temp). I also called her pediatrician and am waiting to hear back. She's still acting normal and has no increase in secretions or symptoms so far. So I think it's still a waiting game.

Ainsley's Mom
02-06-2010, 03:05 PM
The PASS people said to wait and see. Cancel if the fever goes over 100.4 within 24 hours of surgery. Otherwise bring her in Monday (6:45am check-in) to be evaluated. Today (Saturday) her temperature is close to normal and she is still acting happy and normal. I woke up with a little gunk in my head and had to cough a bit first thing in the morning but it wasn't too bad, assuming we have the same virus. Maybe it's affecting her differently though so I'm trying not to assume she feels exactly like me. She coughed a couple times this morning which made me nervous but it not any more after that. My fingers will be crossed that it doesn't develop into a cough or runny nose by Monday. Those are the biggest risks since we don't want her to be coughing post surgery because of the risk of bleeding. I think I gambled on the right side. I'd say chances are now pretty good that we'll be able to go forward with the surgery. I'd say 70/30% in our favor.

I'll try to post an update next week. I'm praying that somehow some way the surgeon can free up some of that vocal cord/arytenoid scarring. If not at least we'll know that our next step is something more extreme, or just accepting the trach indefinitely. And I'm still very hopeful that removing the tonsils will help her swallow (as well as increase her upper airway size). It could be exciting or very disappointing which is why I'll be so glad when it's done. Monday can't get here soon enough!

Thanks everyone for helping me through these agonizing days.

Baby1107
02-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Whew so glad she is better now!! *Fingers Crossed*

Christamae
02-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I did an experiment in high school involving different kinds of thermometers. The ear one always ran 1-2 degrees higher. I would get a different kind of thermometer.

Ainsley's Mom
02-07-2010, 01:48 PM
I did an experiment in high school involving different kinds of thermometers. The ear one always ran 1-2 degrees higher. I would get a different kind of thermometer.

Yeah, I don't love my ear thermometer. It's readings are all over the place but it is convenient for times I don't want to do a rectal reading. When I take my husbands temp with it it's 98.5. The weird thing is that Ainsley's forehead is a little warm (you can feel it with your hand) but her body temp feels normal(to the touch). I never thought there could be a difference but there seems to be. Actually we have 4 thermomoters. I always trust the rectal most, but try to only use it when the fever is really high and I really want to know the exact number. But this is a case where I'm glad I did because it was a low grade temp I expected the rectal to be higher(it ususally always is). Boy was I surprised when it read normal.

Wooders80
02-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Hope things stay settled and you make it to hospital. Dominic has an annoying habit of getting ill just before anaesthetics too.

Gretchen(Celia's mom)
02-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Checking in on Ainsley!! I have EVERYTHING crossed that she is 100% today and will be ready for surgery in the AM!!!!!!!!!!

sarah78
02-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Fingers crossed for tomorrow and praying that the laser surgery works :) x

TommysMommy
02-08-2010, 04:05 AM
Checking in before I head to bed. Good luck! I'll be looking for updates on your blog. :)