PDA

View Full Version : What is tracheitis? How did we get it? And how do we get rid of it?

bcaskey
02-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Hudson was diagnosed with tracheitis yesterday. His breathing was fairly rapid on Saturday and he was a bit weezy, he coughed all night Saturday night, then threw up and had a temp on Sunday. So, we ended up in the ER where they gave him 10 days worth of antibiotics and sent us home (I begged to go home b/c of all the sickness in the hospital). We went to the pediatrician on Friday - could we have picked it up there?! We are sooo cautious at home about cleanliness and visitors... I am watching is sats (96 and above on 1/16 - 1/8L) with a resting heart rate around 130 or so. Doesn't seem to be working too hard, but he coughs a lot when he's awake. I'm trying to keep him asleep and feeding him through his NG. Any suggestions? This is our first illness and I am not dealing with it well, at all!

bryantem
02-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Tracheitis is the inflammation of the trachea. It is usually caused by an overgrowth of a bacteria that the child is colonized with and is fairly common with kids with trachs. Usually the treatment is antiiotics. To my knowledge, the only way to prevent it is by doing regular trach changes with a fresh clean trach. It's not really something that you can pick up by going somewhere or from another person.

lynn
02-01-2010, 09:28 PM
As Beth said, it is an inflamation caused by a bacterial overgrowth~it can be caused by not changing the humidifier water and circuits often enough because most bacteria that cause it are "water" bugs and like warm moist places to overgrow. It is usually treated with oral or inhaled (nebulizer) antibiotics

bcaskey
02-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Hmmm... We change the water every day and rinse out the neb container and we change all tubing, equipment, etc. weekly. That concerns me.

Melisande
02-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I think you can do all you can to prevent it but still get it. I think keeping kids out of contact with other kids or people helps. That works for some kids, but not for others, especially if they go to school, etc. The bacteria that are most often grown in the trachea are common bacteria and are everywhere. I did a lot of immune boosting vitamin supplements as much as I could over the years and that seemed to help, I think. Heck, I do that with my 19mo mouthbreather too, for that matter!

bcaskey
02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Now they're saying that it's a viral funk. His secretions have been clear and thin all along with little to no fever. So, I guess we'll just have to keep the nebs, antibiotics and steriods coming until it goes away. Thank goodness we've been able to nurse him at home instead of the hospital.

TommysDad
02-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Whenever Tommy get tracheitis, Tommy' Airo team prescribes CiproDex drops to literally be dropped into Tommy's trache. Because of Tommy's age & weight, the script is usually for 4 drops in trache tube 2 or 3 times a day for about 10 days. The Cipro part is an antibiotic & the Dex part is Dexamethazone (sp?) which is a steriod which quickly takes care of the swelling & inflamation and stops Tommy's horrible cough & bleeding froom irratiation. It's our "WONDER DRUG"! Then that's one way to eliminate more tubing needing to be washed & less water bugs to worry about:o

We do find the more often we change the trache tube, the less often he seems to get these flair ups, but no matter what, he still seems to be prone to getting it eventually:(