PDA

View Full Version : datex-ohmeda pulse-ox delay question

haikumama
01-29-2010, 03:18 PM
It seems like this "new" datex-ohmeda oximeter we got when we switched DMEs has an incredibly long delay. Is there any way to shorten it? I've scrolled through the menu options and it doesn't look like there is, but I thought maybe I'm just missing it.

Thanks!
Kari

Niff
01-29-2010, 06:20 PM
What do you mean by delay?

haikumama
01-29-2010, 06:28 PM
I mean that it seems to take several seconds to register a sat drop. In our Masimo machine, there was a three second delay, but we had a choice to change it to a five-second or eight-second. (If I'm remembering correctly.)

This datex-ohmeda seems to have an extremely long delay (like longer than 10 seconds) and I wish I could change that. It's not too bad during the day, but such a long delay is not super helpful when we're sleeping, you know? It scares me now that he's sick again.

Any thoughts?

Niff
01-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Ah, gotcha.

We've always had the datex ohmeda and it definitely does have a delay to it. You can't change the settings that I know of. We've never had a huge problem with the delay. I don't think it's necessarily more than 10 seconds. I've never experienced a pulse ox that was spot on, but I can imagine coming from a "quicker" pulse ox it may be more frustrating.

Can you switch back to the other model?

Personally, I love the wave form of the datex. I like being able to see if it's getting a good read rather than guessing if Mackenzie really is in the 80s.