PDA

View Full Version : Straight flanges vs. "V" flanges

bryantem
01-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Do any of you prefer one to the other? I noticed that Bivona carries the straight flanges in the peds size and asked Apria to switch to them. She has a short neck and the flanges rub on her jaw.

lynn
01-29-2010, 02:18 PM
I Love the straight flanges... they irritate way less, and they are harder for Joseph to decan with.. I always use the straight, and this month my order came with two of the v shape... i was going to call and see if i could exchange; but ended up doing an emergency change with one.. and just did the trach change with the other(I called and left message...but never heard back) Anyway... yesterday morning Joseph woke up with dry crusty blood all over the side tie and flange.. the flange was digging into the underneath of his chin rubbing it raw. :(

twintotwin
01-29-2010, 03:34 PM
What Lynn said...I loved straight flanges when we had them back in our Bivona days...the V shape tends to cause pressure sores on my guys. I would love to know what the purpose of the V is. Perhaps where the trach is placed?

Melisande
01-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Before they gave you the choice, we custom ordered straight flanges on the bivona. It was just too much torque on D's stoma with the vent and all at night to use the "v" flanges. Worked awesome for 5 1/2 years. He never even had any granuation or anything.

Ann
01-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Opposite here. We've tried the straight flange more than once but couldn't ever use it because the barrel part sticks out too much and rubs under Jack's chin. We can only use the v-flange. Keep in mind that Jack can't hold his head up at all.

Niff
01-29-2010, 07:00 PM
We used the straight with Shiley and currently use V with Bivona. When we first switched, I liked the straight better and was resistant toward the V. We've been using the V for almost a year now without a problem. Mackenzie has super sensitive skin, so she would break down regardless of shape if we didn't have some barrier (ie: drain sponge) between the trach and her skin. I never noticed a difference as far as the chin rubbing.

Wooders80
01-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Interesting, I didn't know you got a choice. I think we have v flanges, but what indicates this on the box? Our bivonas certainly seem to be a v shape. I think the straight flanges would be better for us, as Dominic still has a bit of birthmark around his chin.

bryantem
01-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Laura, there in the pamphlet where the cleaning instructions are, there are the model numbers for the different style flanges. I emailed Apria and asked if it was possible and they said they had them. Since Addy's script doesn't indicate the style, the can send either.

Jae's Mom
02-02-2010, 02:28 PM
We've always used the v shaped flange, however with our last Apria delivery we got a straight one. Still on the fence as to which we like better.

madelyn and rynns mom
02-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Straight only for us!