PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances - my dad is now a neckbreather too!

Peyton's Parents
01-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Yesterday my father was trached. What are the chances that both my daughter and my father would be trached at the same time! His is for very different reasons - he has COPD and on oxygen and is still smoking and set himself on fire accidently, they want the trach due to all the surgeries he will need for the skin grafts. We've had no contact for eight years so he has never met Peyton. Because my family is so used to Peyton's trach, though, I think we are all very comfortable with the thought of him having a trach. It made the conversations with the doctor and nurses much easier since they didn't have to explain everything to us. He is in a different state so it's unlikely we will ever have to be involved in his care but I can't get past the irony of the situation. Thanks for listening.

Alex's mom
01-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Oh dear. So sorry. I check your blog often and can't imagine that Peyton has a grandfather that hasn't met her. She's such a wonderful kid. What a tremendous loss for him. :hug:

JWorthington
01-29-2010, 11:30 AM
that's incredible! It is sad that her grandfather hasn't been around, it may have helped him come to terms with things. Hope they can get him to quit the smoking.

haltec
01-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Very ironic, but I still can't get over that he caught himself on fire! Yikes!

lynn
01-29-2010, 01:23 PM
wow that is ironic.. cant believe he still smokes with copd! and set himself on fire.

LittleBee
01-29-2010, 02:00 PM
I am so sorry about your dad. Mine died a few years before Luke was born from throat cancer. He still smoked right to the end. But we knew he wasn't going to make it, so we just had to accept it. We weren't that close either, but I did spend as much time as I could with him during his last few months. He didn't have a trach, which seems amazing in retrospect because of all the radiation he had on his throat. But he did have to get a feeding tube, and I fed him sometimes. So in a small way, it helped prepare me for Luke and his "tubes."

Maybe if your dad can heal from this, it will change his perspective and bring you closer - if that is something you want.

twintotwin
01-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear this about your dad. It is very weird. There's actually one other mom in this forum that has a parent and a child with a trach...but I just can't remember who. Let me think about it...maybe someone else will remember.

Myself
01-29-2010, 02:49 PM
I am sorry to hear about your father and hopefully he'll quit smoking.