PDA

View Full Version : Moving

Vicki Rocha
01-27-2010, 09:31 AM
My fiance has been laid off of work for a year now and occasionally gets called back to work only a couple days a week. We are barely getting by month to month and there just aren't any jobs available for him here. So I have decided to finally take my parents offer and move in with them for awhile. So we are moving from Ohio to Texas. They have plenty of extra room for us and want to help us with Isaac. Although I am so happy to be moving close to my parents, I am already starting to stress about finding new Drs., insurance, supply company, rehab, etc, etc. Does anyone know if Medicaid can be transferred from state to state? or do we have to get there and then apply? Thanks!

Ann
01-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Medicaid is different state to state and you will have to reapply. I would start making contacts now and get appointments set up with both the Medicaid office and physicians so that you can hit the ground running once you relocate. We moved from St. Louis to Phoenix almost 8 years ago. Surprisingly, the transition went fairly smoothly.

Good luck.

Peyton's Parents
01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Another thing to keep in mind, if you qualify for Medicaid because of a waiver you will need to reapply for a waiver. We have wanted to move back to Utah but have been on the waiting list there for 2 1/2 years for the waiver. Since we make too much for Medicaid based on income alone - our only option to get the nursing covered is by qualifying for the waiver. So until our number comes up in Utah we are stuck in California as long as we need nursing.

angelbaby
01-28-2010, 03:04 PM
the waitlist here in tx are crazy long, we are waiting for the class waiver, have been waiting for over 6 yrs now, we are now 1500 out of 30,000. it was 10,000 when we signed up 6 yrs ago, so they are really slow at getting people off.

JacobKaden
01-29-2010, 10:50 AM
We are in Canada, but just wanted to echo that it's best to get everything set up in advance, so the service providers are expecting Isaac. We moved just an hour away a few years ago, but it still helped to make all the referrals in advance. It sounds like medicaid is going to be your biggest hurdle. Best of luck with the move.:hug:

Baby1107
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Where in TX will you be moving? if you can get SSI then Medicaid will follow, but the waivers list is massive...didn't help us at all. We moved from Dallas, TX area to CA to get better coverage.

alissafaith's mom
02-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Also keep in mind if you live with parents you may need to count there income when applying for medicaid