PDA

View Full Version : sand and stoma

saywhatyouwill
01-26-2010, 02:55 PM
anyone still around much after decannulation??!

wondering about sand. emily's stoma is still open in as much as there is a very, very small hole. it isn't dressed.

is sand safe do you think?? nursery are asking...when she had the trach i never let her anywhere near the stuff.

MomofTwoBoys
01-26-2010, 03:06 PM
I would say probably better to be safe than sorry and dress the hole if sand is involved. Even a bandaid maybe? Hunter isn't decanned so I can't speak from experience, but I would assume that if there is any hole it could offer access to something as small as sand.

JWorthington
01-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Sam plays in sand, but he always has a dressing on his stoma.

LKN
01-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Nathan is decanned and LOVES sand. We have a closed stoma and I am grateful for it! Nathan manages to get sand in every orafice. I scrape it out of his nose at night, and even after he blows his nose there is still sand on the kleenex. So, I'd say cover the little hole and let her have fun!!:)

haltec
01-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi Clare.
I'm still hanging around after decann. :)
Sienna's stoma was surgically closed a few months after she was decannulated. I didn't let her around sand until it was closed. But her stoma sinks in quite a bit.
I would think if the hole is tiny enough that it would be okay if she would wear a bandaid just to be safe.

Are there any plans to close it?

saywhatyouwill
01-27-2010, 01:54 PM
don't want to start dressing it again cos she really objects!!

the stoma sinks in a bit with a pinhole in the middle. i think they are to close it within the next few months.

hmmm....maybe i'll hold off abit and let her have sand at home but not at nursery!

thanks peeps.

Livi's_mama
01-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Would she wear a turtleneck while playing with it?

We do the beach...just use a dressing.