PDA

View Full Version : Trach Problem solved....

bryantem
01-22-2010, 11:40 PM
I had to drive to the warehouse to exchange them, but I got them. They ended up getting the branch manager involved and he straightened everything up. I also got a new suction machine because I wasn't getting called back about exchanging it since we now own our equipment. I am confused though, because he said that most of the time, the pulse-ox is usually rented and not bought, which is fine by me.

As for the trach ties, it looks like Apria switched providers and can't get Dale ties anymore. He is asking the RT's about a similar alternative, so we will see. In the meantime I am contacting my old DME to see if they can provide them. I am sure they can- the reason I switched was because they were so small that they couldn't fully meet Addisyn's needs. They should still have her scripts and insurance info.

Niff
01-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Wow! How do you won your suction already? Eesh! Btw, it's not mandatory to switch out for new equipment once you own it. I asked our rep that and she said that it was a common misconception. The branch could decide to do it, but they don't HAVE to.

About the trach ties, they DO have them. I just ordered some earlier today. They were out of stock for a little bit, but they just got some in yesterday or the day before at their Redline warehouse. I haven't heard anything about them discontinuing the product.

Ann
01-23-2010, 12:06 AM
I asked the RT supervisor I order my supplies from about getting Dale and here is what she said:

With the new contract w/ Pepper medical, the Dale trach ties order # is inactive. I also checked w/ McKesson’s inventory & it’s inactive there as well. They’ve been replaced w/ the new Pepper Medical trach ties. If pt’s have received them in the past few months, it was only because some Branches may have still had some stock on their shelves. I just checked the inventory for all the Phoenix Metro Branches & all Dale trach ties have been exhausted. No one will be receiving them thru Apria going forward. This is Nationwide.

Niff, your Apria branch must still have some on their shelves. Or, they didn't get the memo. Hopefully, you can stock up before they run out.

bryantem
01-23-2010, 12:07 AM
I think it is just this branch. The manager said different branches use different warehouses? And the redline (McKessen?) warehouse here is not supplying that product anymore. I am sure if they really wanted to, they could get it from another warehouse, however my head hurts and I am tired of fighting with them. If I can get the trach ties from the other DME, I might just do that.

As far as the suction machine, the info I got came from the RT that dropped off the equipment. he told me to keep an eye on my statements because when I own the equipment, any used equipment gets replaced with new. He said that if I don't do that when I first take over ownership of that product, they won't replace it. I also ran it by another rep on the phone and he confirmed this. I mentioned to the manager that I wasn't comfortable with owning a used machine because we are going to have this for a while and now that we own it, (or close to it) I don't know how long it will last me. I don't have an aversion to used equipment, but it makes me nervous to not know how long it has been used. I think this one was pretty old. It didn't seem to ever fully charge.

bryantem
01-23-2010, 12:10 AM
I asked the RT supervisor I order my supplies from about getting Dale and here is what she said:

With the new contract w/ Pepper medical, the Dale trach ties order # is inactive. I also checked w/ McKessonís inventory & itís inactive there as well. Theyíve been replaced w/ the new Pepper Medical trach ties. If ptís have received them in the past few months, it was only because some Branches may have still had some stock on their shelves. I just checked the inventory for all the Phoenix Metro Branches & all Dale trach ties have been exhausted. No one will be receiving them thru Apria going forward. This is Nationwide.

Niff, your Apria branch must still have some on their shelves. Hopefully, you can stock up before they run out.

That is basically what the manager told me as well. I hate that they make "contracts" on the products WE use. It is not like a hospital where the hospital uses these products. It is the patients that have to deal with whatever product they happen to get, and they espect us to go with it. I know it is about money and who will give them the product the cheapest and offer the best rebates, however they bill the insurance the same and always get their money.

Niff
01-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Bleh... I love our Dale ties! They're so cute! I'll have to check around at other DMEs in our area to see if they have them and get a separate RX.

Anyone have a pic of the pepper medical trach ties? I googled and saw some generic pics but I can't get a good idea of how different they are.

bryantem
01-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Niff, They are plain white, and 2 piece like the dale ties, however the short peice is shorter. Instead of having a thick piece of velcro in the back, they have a thin blue velcor (like the one that connects to the flanges). The velcro strips are much harder and less flexible. They don't thread through the Shiley's easily at all and I had to be careful bacause when I was threading them through the flanges, it caught on her skin and pinched it...and then she throws a fit and tries to push my hand away, arches her back and tries to pull the trach out. It's not a pretty sight. I had an easier time with the Bivona, however if I am able to get the dale ties from the other DME, I will.

Ann
01-23-2010, 12:09 PM
In my opinion, the Pepper ties are crap. They aren't nearly as thick or soft as the Dale and for a kid like Jack who doesn't move and lays most of the day, he needs the softness of the Dale. I'm going to get in touch with my Dale contact and see if I can get a list of their vendors.

bryantem
01-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Ann, I know for a fact Banner Home Health carries them. If you want their info, let me know.

I agree. The Pepper ties are crap. They are better than nothing, however if I can get the Dale ties from Banner, I will.

jamie
01-23-2010, 02:57 PM
for evan i only use posey trach ties, since the company that sends his supplies does not carry them i used the serial number on the package and ordered them from the company that makes them.

MITJAlcald
01-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Hello,

I am the General Manager of Marpac and I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for all of the information that you share with each other regarding trach ties and to invite you to provide us with any suggestions for improvement that you have.

A quick background on Marpac is that we are a small, veteran owned business in Albuquerque, New Mexico and all of our products are Made in the USA. (Most other trach collars are made offshore.) We are always looking for ways to improve our trach collars and have just recently has the pleasure of working with the University of New Mexico Hospital's PICU and with a local family to design a new trach collar. The request was for softer velcro with no sharp edges, tabs that would easily thread the Bivona trach tube flange (the one with the really tiny holes), and additional padding around the 2-piece velcro connection. Additionally they asked for a vent-circuit anti-disconnect as children tend to move around much more than adults and the circuit can become disconnected. We have used their feedback to design a new and better working pediatric trach collar and a new anti-disconnect.

I welcome you to contact me directly at 505-764-5662 is there is anything we can do to improve our trach collars. We really do want to make our trach collars so that they are easier for the parents to use and are better for the children using them.

Thank you,

Jeff Alcalde