PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about transferring care. What do we think about?


suzanne2545
01-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Parker is due for a scope in Mar/Apr timeframe. Fingers crossed things will look good. Ian and I are starting to open up to the potential of transferring his care up here. The only doctor that Cincinnati has mentioned for us is one of the fellows that we know, but he's two hours away.

What I'm hoping to do between now and our scope is talk to some doctors who are candidates and learn more about experience, collaboration, etc.

I guess I'm not sure if it makes sense to transfer to someone two hours away when we can go where we are familiar 5 hours away. To make matters worse, we've moved here in the last year so Parker has never had a doctor here with a trach. So, it isn't as if we have any experience with the hospitals here in our back yard. Mott Childrens has a highly ranked pediatric ENT department, they are an hour away but they just don't "come up" when you talk to Cincinnati.

Give me food for thought? If we transfer it absolutely must be someone with an established working relationship with Cincinnati and someone who will be totally open to our going back there if down the road an LTP revision were needed or something.

kadiera
01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
FWIW, we were told Mott's and Children's Hospital @DMC (downtown Detroit) were the only two places out this direction that had anyone with any experience with trach kids. We've been seeing someone at Children's, ENT wise, and we're reasonably happy, but his scope revealed that Alexander's issues were almost entirely lung issues, not airway issues (and he'd never *had* a scope at our home NICU, which leads to some interesting questions all around).

Who has come up when discussing with Cincinnati?

suzanne2545
01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Chad Afman is in Grand Rapids. He works in an office with three other ENTs and has surgical rights at DeVos Childrens. We've had several interactions with him on our journey at Cincinnati and definitely have been impressed by him. If he were at Mott or even Detroit, we probably would have already been at least talking about it, but Grand Rapids isn't exactly convenient. And DeVos isn't exactly Cincinnati.

Certainly, I agree, Mott and Detroit are the only options in SE MI.

kadiera
01-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Chad Afman is in Grand Rapids. He works in an office with three other ENTs and has surgical rights at DeVos Childrens. We've had several interactions with him on our journey at Cincinnati and definitely have been impressed by him. If he were at Mott or even Detroit, we probably would have already been at least talking about it, but Grand Rapids isn't exactly convenient. And DeVos isn't exactly Cincinnati.


I'm not sure Grand Rapids is convenient from anywhere :) But I do see how it'd be a concern to transfer there....

scm
01-22-2010, 03:42 PM
I don't think I'd switch. HOpefully future appointments will be few and far between:)

What services would you need from a new ENT if you get the "all clear"? Is it something more than your general pediatrician could handle?

hogansteph
01-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Dr. Chad Afman is GREAT!!!! We saw his partner until he came here from Cinci and we have been very happy...it is only an hour from us but I would drive 3 to see him. We also see Dr. Cotton in Cinci and Dr. Afman has been really good to work with as well as his nurse is really great. I would HIGHLY recommend him and think that it would be worth the trip...besides, you could always let me know when you are in the area and we could meet up!!! We live in Holland, but all of our care in in Grand Rapids. Hope that helps! I could give you alot of specific examples but I won't go on and on...bottom line, you can tell he trained under Dr. Cotton. I personally wouldn't bother with Motts...we have had some frustrating experiences there!

Stephanie

Ainsley's Mom
01-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Wellllll....that's a tough call. I was going to say transfer for sure. But if it's just a scope once a year it wouldn't be that much extra to travel a few more hours. Maybe go to Cincinnati this time and see how things look. If his airway is perfect then transfer for follow-up scopes. I think you should develop a relationship with a local ENT in case anything was to ever happen. Especially in light of his apnea/blue spell/breath holding what-ever-you-call-its. I think a team approach works well. Someone local to handle ordinary stuff if it comes up and Dr. C if things get tough.

JacobKaden
01-24-2010, 12:15 PM
I would keep his care at Cinci - if something comes up later, I think Dr. C. is still the one you would want to diagnose and handle things. A five hour drive once a year does not seem so bad for the peace of mind.

Niff
01-24-2010, 12:30 PM
I'd be more inclined to stay at Cinci unless the docs recommended otherwise. Why rock the boat? In the next few years, I'm sure the amount of scopes will decline so the trips will become MUCH less frequent. Who knows - he may get the thumbs up and not need any scopes unless something comes up? ;)