PDA

View Full Version : Ugh. Plugs.

bryantem
01-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Addisyn has had plugs every night for the past few nights. She is such an active sleeper that she pulls the trach collar off. It is easily cleared with some saline. I had to get up with her last night to clear it and she had another in the morning. She manages fine- usually she lets me know she has one by making noise. Her pulse-ox never goes off.

She won't let me put an HME on her during the day. She pulls it off. Her ST said none of her trach kids will wear it.

Niff
01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Mackenzie will pull hers off but it's typically for attention. I have a theory that it's all about timing. If you introduce it VERY early in the game, they're less likely to be bothered by it and leave it alone. Just a theory and I doubt it applies to everyone.

Anywho, I hope you can get a handle on the plugs. Mac's an active sleeper too so I'm definitely feeling your pain on that front!

bryantem
01-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Niff, I mentioned that to her therapist, because I was not adamant about her wearing the HME as she needed suctioning so often with it. She told me that these parents were very adamant about it and the kid still pulls it off. Addy likes to play with it and chew it.

Ainsley's Mom
01-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Niff, I mentioned that to her therapist, because I was not adamant about her wearing the HME as she needed suctioning so often with it. She told me that these parents were very adamant about it and the kid still pulls it off. Addy likes to play with it and chew it.

Same here. Pulled them off from day one. Actually she had to work pretty hard at it because of her motor skills issues but she would. If you've ever tried to breath through one (just for kicks) you know why, it's like breathing through a mask. But interestingly, Ainsley is MUCH drier when she sleeps so we need the humidity then. During the day she manages without an HME. But also, we are trying to use the PMV instead so she wouldn't be wearing an HME anyway. I guess that's a long winded way of saying: I gave up!

nad_d
01-19-2010, 12:41 AM
check the humidity level in the room, for me it sound to much dry to have huge plug over night.

bryantem
01-19-2010, 09:34 AM
check the humidity level in the room, for me it sound to much dry to have huge plug over night.

We live in the desert, and since it is winter, we have the heat on. It has been raining for the bast couple of days, so it hasn't been too dry, but yes, it is very dry here and I think the heat is making it worse. Do you think we should use a room humidifier in her room too?

Niff
01-19-2010, 03:24 PM
We live in the desert, and since it is winter, we have the heat on. It has been raining for the bast couple of days, so it hasn't been too dry, but yes, it is very dry here and I think the heat is making it worse. Do you think we should use a room humidifier in her room too?

We were told by a quack pediatrician to get a humidifier for Mackenzie's nose. But in all honesty that might be a good idea! Just make sure you clean it every other day or so.

kadiera
01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Alexander pulls his HME off sometimes, but he's far more likely to be using the O2 tubing as a teething toy.

I think the fact that his HMEs have a suction port helps - we don't take it off to suction, so he doesn't think about it coming on and off so much.

The new PMV, on the other hand....

LKN
01-19-2010, 03:57 PM
The hme during the day will help a lot with dryness and/or plugs. You can make a mask that will keep her from pulling it off so successfully each time she tries. Several of us on here used them when our kids went through the grabby phase. It was less stressful for me to make him wear the hme than to worry about plugs.

We did use a room humidifier when the weather was cold or if the humidity in the house got too low. If you buy an ultrasonic humidifier there is no need to clean it every day. Just make sure you use distilled water or sterile water in it. We found that the room humidifier helped a lot.

Andiesurprise
01-19-2010, 07:58 PM
We added a humidifier to our furnace and it has helped a lot with Andie's plugs this winter. I think this would be similar to a room humidifier.

Andie went through a stage where she would keep pulling her HME off but we just kept at it and now she leaves it alone. Unless she is sick. It is too restricting if she is sick so we keep her on her neb. But that is not very often. I always worry about germs or things getting in her trach without the HME. But I am sure I am OCD about germs even before Andie:)