PDA

View Full Version : Question for a friend

bryantem
01-17-2010, 09:54 PM
I have an internet friend that lives in my area. She sees the same peds that we do, however a different Dr. I will not take Addy to the Dr because she doesn't seem experienced enough to tend to her medical needs. I took Addisyn to her after she was discharged for RSV. When she was on the peds floor her secretions were normal, and when she got home, they started turning yellow and she wasn't breathing well. Ped sent her home. A few days later she was in the PICU and on a vent for pneumonia. Needless to say, I don't recommend this Dr.

Her son is not trached, he is a former preemie with Asthma and tracheomalcia. The malacia has never caused a problem. He also has GI issues and lately has had coffee ground and mucous in his stool. His GI is aware of the issue.

Recently, his hands and feet have been turning blue, ans well as around his lips. When this happens, he is not having trouble breathing. He is acting fine and playing like nothing is wrong. She has a handheld pulse-ox and when this happens, his sats stay at 99%. This happened at the peds office in front of this particular Dr. She doesn't do much, but tell her, if it was a circulation, the pulse-ox would show that. From my research in how these devices work, I know that is not true, especially if the issue is circulation and not oxygenation.

He has had an echo that came back "normal", however it was done at the hospital and she did not see a cardiologist. The results were sent to the peds office. I know Addisyn has had an echo at the hospital and they told me it was "normal", however when we saw the cardiologist, the results were not normal. I know in my experiences, that I have had reports on echos done at 2 different hospitals that revealed 2 completely different results.

Does anyone have a clue? She is stumped. I suggested to take him to an actual cardiologist. This can't be normal and I hate that the Dr isn't doing much for her. I think she is contemplating switching to the Dr that we see, which is the only Dr at the practice that sees Addisyn.

Kate
01-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I would also suggest she see a pediatric cardiologist. I 100% agree with you as we had the same experience...normal echo here but just this year we had another one that didn't come back "normal"
I would get him in ASAP especially if she is seeing blue.

Ainsley's Mom
01-18-2010, 03:05 AM
I don't like the sound of any change that involves turning any body part blue. I think that alone would qualify him for a ped cardiologist visit. Given that there are some other med issues as well I think the cardiologist would be happy to see him, it's best to be safe.

JWorthington
01-18-2010, 08:55 AM
we've had cardiac echo and ecg in different hospitals that came back normal first time round and then not when reviewed by an experienced cardiologist. I agree with everyone else, she needs a cardiology referral. Blue is not a good colour!