PDA

View Full Version : Purell

alizesmom
05-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Am I the only one who suddenly can't find purell etc.????? I'm guessing it's because of the swine flu. Karen

haikumama
05-05-2009, 12:23 AM
It was completely gone here in Austin - shelves cleaned bare. I ended up buying a case on Amazon.

I guess when the swine flu zombie apocalypse happens, we'll all at least have clean hands. :D

Jonahsmom
05-05-2009, 07:51 AM
I've searched all over town for it! WalMart is supposed to get a shipment today though....

Strange, huh?

Anji

suzanne2545
05-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Does purell even kill viruses? Bizarre?

Kate
05-05-2009, 09:18 AM
That is interesting. I'm sure it is because of the Swine Flu. I was at Sam's Club and just bought a big thing of Germ-x towelettes. I figured I can throw them in the bag and they are easier to use on Mitchell's hands vs. the gel and trying to get him to rub his hands together. Wish I could use them on Sam-but he's too little and has his hands in his mouth too much.

We have the opposite here-I see it EVERYWHERE! You could go bonkers buying it everywhere here. :D

Baby1107
05-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Lots of places have been wiped out. My mom went to Dollar Tree & found two bottle of the Alcohol free kind. I have been looking for that for Austin for ages. Guess they dusted off that box and shelved it FINALLY!

KJKK8437
05-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I haven't noticed the sanitizer missing, but I did notice that Thera-flu and other cold and flu symptom treatments are absent from the drugstore shelves.

Our grocery store has front-loaded the sanitizer at the entry-table that usually has specials. It is not, however, on special. (No price listed, in fact)

Kate
05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I haven't noticed the sanitizer missing, but I did notice that Thera-flu and other cold and flu symptom treatments are absent from the drugstore shelves.

Our grocery store has front-loaded the sanitizer at the entry-table that usually has specials. It is not, however, on special. (No price listed, in fact)

That's like ours too

saywhatyouwill
05-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Does purell even kill viruses? Bizarre?

is purell a hand sanitiser? they do kill viruses including flu - or if not "kill" as such, they make them as good as dead!

kirafaesmom
05-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I did learn something "interesting" yesterday (ok, interesting in a sick, medically fragile kid world....); the hand sanitizer does NOT kill cdiff. It has to be hand washing for that nasty bug. Thankfully, Kira was cleared of that, but the nurse was really surprised to find out that using the sanitizer inbetween patient rooms does NOT protect from cdiff. I wonder what else the sanitizer doesn't kill? Ok...maybe I really don't want to know.

Kate
05-05-2009, 02:40 PM
I did learn something "interesting" yesterday (ok, interesting in a sick, medically fragile kid world....); the hand sanitizer does NOT kill cdiff. It has to be hand washing for that nasty bug. Thankfully, Kira was cleared of that, but the nurse was really surprised to find out that using the sanitizer inbetween patient rooms does NOT protect from cdiff. I wonder what else the sanitizer doesn't kill? Ok...maybe I really don't want to know.

I'm guessing a lot less than they want us to know-I mean doesn't kill as much as we "think" it kills...who knows though.

Mom2TwinsPlus1
05-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Our local sams club sold out 3 pallet fulls in less than an hour of the gallon size sanitizer.

We have plenty here at home, but I do know ours are in very short supply on the stores shelves.

TommysMommy
05-05-2009, 04:39 PM

Yep, found this out when Tommy contracted it too. Soapy water is the only thing that kills it. Sanitizer is supposed to be a quick subsitute if you can't get near a sink for regular handwashing, and I think it's become sort of a replacement for the real thing.

Big Al
05-06-2009, 05:26 AM
I find a travel shampoo bottle and rubbing alcohol works just as well and won't leave my hands with a film like the other brand hand santitzrs do.

alizesmom
05-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I find a travel shampoo bottle and rubbing alcohol works just as well and won't leave my hands with a film like the other brand hand santitzrs do.

Good point since, if you look, purell is alcohal. Karen