PDA

View Full Version : Suction Machine

bryantem
05-04-2009, 10:35 AM
How do you clean out your sxn machine?

How often do you replace the cannister/filter/tubing?

llwilliams8
05-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I rotate between 2 canisters each week as well as the tubing. I soak the other canister and tubing in vinegar water. I did not realize there was a filter on them though. No one really told me how often to clean or change out so I'm interested in seeing others answer.

Kaylie
05-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I think its to each persons liking, especially depending on how much you suction and things like that. we change ours out daily, we soak them in antibacterial soap for quite sometime and then rinse and soak in a small amount of vinegar and then rinse. the suction machine tend to smell especially if they have alot of snot in them, we use sterile water to clean the cath, so there are times that the frequency increases of cleaning. i know that some people use mouth wash in them also, just a small amount.we change the lines daily, and the filter every couple days.

saywhatyouwill
05-04-2009, 11:56 AM
i rarely wash out the cannister. on the devillbiss i change the filter when it starts to look dirty in the corners. on the clario i change the suction tubing once a week. no filter on the clario.

Mom2TwinsPlus1
05-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Hot soapy water and then rinse with boiling water OR I use bleach water, let it soak for 10 mins and dump it out. I clean weekly even tough we are no where near full or half full in the canister at that point.

I think put a big capful of listerine in the canister to keep the smell down.

We are supposed to change ours out every 3 months, I think??? Its been so long since I did it routinely I dont know. I just change when feel like it.

As for filters and such, we change them out around every 3 months, but the white round filter we use on one of the machines gets changed about 2 times a year because they can never find them to send to me and don't come in our suction canister sets

babybear
05-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I change the cannister and tubing every week, and just empty the contents and rinse the cannister out with hot water in between changes. I try to rinse the tubing out with water each time I suction Gabriel, so the contents are easy to "dump" and don't smell...otherwise it's really gross. I've never changed the white filter because we've always had to switch machines before it was time to change them.

Wooders80
05-04-2009, 02:21 PM
We clean all our machines weekly in warm soapy water. I then put boiling water in the canisters and let it cool. I change the suction tubing at least weekly. If Dominic has a cold I change the tubing daily, rather than rince out with water. I dispose of the tubing after one use, don't clean it. We change filters monthly.

Don't think I've ever changed the canister:confused:

JWorthington
05-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Like Laura we clean and change tubing weekly and change filter monthly.

Julie

TommysMommy
05-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Everything we had was disposable. I changed everything weekly tossed it all out and replaced with new. I kept a little vinegar in the canister to keep the smell down. We couldn't change our filter, it had to be serviced, but in two years, we only had to have it serviced once.

KJKK8437
05-04-2009, 07:46 PM
We changed out the canister for a new or washed one weekly, and we changed the tubing for a new one at the same time. We changed the canister lid 2x a month if we got enough from the DME, but always at least once a month. We changed the round filter monthly, if the DME could figure out what I wanted and sent it to me.

As for the canister, I would dump it daily, rinse it and dump it again, all into the toilet, and if I had it handy, I would use some mouthwash in the canister. To clean it out, I would soak it with detergent for several hours, then rinse, scrub, and soak it again. Then when I was comfortable it was pretty clean, I would run it through the dishwasher to sterilize it. This last part really freaked out our nurses, and they were convinced that I would contaminate everything with secretions, but I was careful. I would scrub the sink with antibacterial (hospital grade if I had them) wipes to clean anything that might have been in the soak or rinse water, and I'd wipe the canister with the same wipes before putting it in the dishwasher.

Kaylie
05-04-2009, 07:55 PM
when u say filter which one are u talking about. there are some machines that have two, one is like a felt looking thing located usually on the side towards the bottom (that if u have one should be like monthly, and as Karin said the dme has trouble locating one. but then there is a filter that is connected to the piece that attaches to the lid, we change that daily also.

Ainsley's Mom
05-04-2009, 10:04 PM
I dump into the toilet. Then use a papertowel to wash the canister and lid set with antibacterial soap. I have mouthwash in a spray bottle, and I spray it into the cracks of the lid. Let it sit a few minutes and then rinse with really hot water. I spritz the canister and lid with the mouthwash (to keep it smelling fresh :rolleyes:, if that's possible) and cap the lid

The tubing I try to run super hot soapy water though it for a minute every few days. I wipe down the outside with alcohol wipes on occasion. And sometimes I soak it in a basin in super hot water.

I replace the filters once every few months if I remember. And rarely replace the canisters or lids, maybe once a year.

KJKK8437
05-04-2009, 11:07 PM
when u say filter which one are u talking about. there are some machines that have two, one is like a felt looking thing located usually on the side towards the bottom (that if u have one should be like monthly, and as Karin said the dme has trouble locating one. but then there is a filter that is connected to the piece that attaches to the lid, we change that daily also.

Good point. Machines are different and we should clarify. For our stationary, we used the round filters that attached to the lid by long tube. We briefly had a stationary that had rectangular filters, but that one got replaced. Our portable Devilbiss used rectangle filters.

In all of our machines, the only other filter was in the canister lid, on the inside of the lid, which is why we tried to order whole new canisters and lids every month. If the filter in the lid got too wet, the suction would go down tremendously. We never had supplies to change any filter daily.

Oh ... the filter/canister/tubing change schedule I mentioned was what our RT from the DME told us to do, and I did. We never seemed to have enough suction canister lids, though. I cracked more than one trying to change tubing or clean the canister.

Andrew's Mommy
05-05-2009, 12:07 AM
I have three canisters. When One gets dirty I fill it with bleach and water let it soak until its needed again. And i exchange it with one of the ones that already has bleach in it and just rinse until i no longer smell it. The tubing gets rinsed out every morning and usually tossed every month or two and same with the filters unless they get nasty before hand

Doug-Iowa
05-05-2009, 07:53 AM
We use a bit of Lisetreen in the bottom of the canister and chase use with a bit of water. Oh yes Mason still uses his suction machine as he hates to blow his nose.

lynn
05-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I change and clean canisters every week, try to rinse out the portable one daily just so it doesnt spill on our trips(yuck), but clean with bleach weekly and have a couple so I can exchange if I dont get right to cleaning. the tubing is easy to clean with a "bbq" squeeze bottle (narrow tip) filled with bleach water I squirt thru a few times to get tube back to clear color. I change the rectangle filter monthly(per DME) I wipe off machine and bag weekly with clorox wipes and refill all suppliles in bag when I do the cleaning so it is always ready to go.

WeAdoptKids
05-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Filter, when we think about it and have an extra.

Canister...we usually only dump, rinse add some lysol and go again. Wash when we think about it.

Tubing, once a month.

catheter...every day, twice as needed.

Roberta

Livi's_mama
05-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Throwing it all out weekly?

What a waste of money as well as landfill space IMO!!!

We clean them out every 2-3 days.

We've been using the same canisters and tubing since Feb of 2006!! Hot soapy water does wonders.

Only one canister has broken in all that time. I had 4, now have 3. One stays in the car as extra (we were out when it broke) and each suction machine contains one.

I travel with my own homemade-ish device. The Bebe aspirator with a 8 fr cath stuck in the end. I just tape the finger suction area shut and we're good to go.

I'll perhaps post a pic tomorrow. :)