PDA

View Full Version : bi pap vs. cpap?

suzanne2545
05-03-2009, 08:29 PM
What is the difference between bi pap and cpap? Who is a candidate for each? Is there any advantage to one or the other?

Niff
05-03-2009, 08:44 PM
CPAP is just a continuous peep, whereas BiPAP adds pressure support. Pressure support is just like it sounds - it gives support for each breath. Typically you don't want to use pressure support unless you have to because "prolonged use" can damage the lungs, but it turns into a risk/benefit scenario.

saywhatyouwill
05-04-2009, 03:53 AM
i thought bipap gave different pressures on inspiration/expiration.
but i don't know who is given cpap and who bipap.
sorry.

scm
05-04-2009, 08:35 AM
CPAP is continuous pressure, BiPap is bi-level. I *think* CPAP is most often used for obstructive apneas to maintain the open airway, and biPap may be used more for ventilation issues to assist in air/o2/co2 exchange by giving breath support, but also mimicking natural breathing with less resistance on exhalation.

So, for example - if you are trying to keep your airway from obstructing while sleeping, you would want the continuous pressure, because too much of a break in pressure on exhalation would allow the airway to obstruct again, becoming counter-effective.

However, if you are on breathing support for respiratory reasons, then you don't need the higher pressure upon exhalation which can be uncomfortable and difficult to breathe against the resistance.

Are they recommending BiPap for Parker??

Wooders80
05-04-2009, 02:17 PM
CPAP is constant positive pressure ventilation. We were on it for over a year for bronchomalacia. It makes breathing in easier but breathing out harder (or thats how it was explained to me). But, all the effort in breathing is breathing in, so the fact it makes breathing out harder isn't an issue. In our case, it helped keep Dominic's bronchal stems open while he slept (thankfully didn't need it in the day for long), and made it easier and less effort for him to breathe.

I'm not too sure about bi-pap, other than its bi-way (in and out breath), and I think it may work by "kicking in" when you need it, e.g. breathing became shallow etc.