PDA

View Full Version : developmental delays-and classes

Kate
05-03-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm wondering what you guys do with your kids who are dd and signing them up for things like Sunday school or other class things that are usually separated by age/grade. Mitchell is 4 but developmentally 2-3. I know it is a personal decision-but what do you guys do? I haven't signed him up for Sunday school yet because I just couldn't decide what to do-do I just throw him in w/his peers or do I put him in the younger group? What do you do?

bryantem
05-03-2009, 03:31 PM
I have no idea- Addisyn is still so young. We are hoping to start little gym soon and I will be signing her up as a 4 month old, not as a 7 month old. This class has kids agrs 4-10 months, but developmentally, she is about 3 months.

Niff
05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
I have no experience in this arena yet, but what I think I would do is put my child in with the group he/she most identifies with. By doing that, you know the activities aren't going over his head and that he's able to feel "part of the group".

TommysDad
05-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I think it depends on 1.) the child, 2.) what the parents want, 3.) if the child needs extra help, are parents willing to be an aid (because I know our Sunday school classrooms have a hard enough time finding teachers to volunteer), 4.) what the instuctors/directors of the program think, and 5.) what the program itself is like.

Having said all of that, we are planning on enrolling Tommy in SS next year when he turns 3 because our SS starts at age 3. Either Tom or myself are going to have to stay in the classroom with Tommy because of his trache needs. One of us will have to be there to sign for Tommy and to be Tommy's voice. But the curriculum at our church for this age is just teaching kids that Jesus loves them. They do the same focus all through out 3, 4, & 5 year olds. Most of it is roll playing, interacting & crafts. Not much paper/pencil. So, even if Tommy were delayed, there really wouldn't be a problem. We have one girl who is severely mentally and slightly physically delayed. The parents choose to keep her in classes with her peers of the exact same age. It's worked out just fine at our church.

Then again, I just called our church's private pre-school about Tommy, and the pre-school teacher doesn't feel "comfortable" with Tommy in her classroom. Administration said there are things they can make their staff do. However, making this teacher allow Tommy in her classroom ISN'T one of them!:mad: :mad: So, who knows how the SS administration might feel about Tommy being in their SS program. If I get the same attitude, I think, no, I KNOW, I'll be looking for a new church! But the pre-school thing doesn't bother me too much because I really wasn't considering it too heavily:o

I think you should put Mitchell wherever you think he'll enjoy SS the most. If classes haven't ended yet, maybe you could go and observe to see where you think his needs would best be met. Just don't forget, this is the end of the year, and he would be starting at the beginning with all the other kids.

Kate
05-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks-oh I'd be very upset if they didn't let you in SS!!

OK-so I went to a meeting today for bible school-it is just for a week and I thought it would give me a good idea of how he does in this setting. Well, now he's sick. Grrr. Now the church is expecting me to be a room parent-when I signed him up I put on the bottom that I'd be in class w/him because of his medical needs-well now that he isn't going to be there-I really don't want to go. 1-because he isn't there 2-because he is sick and I want to be here w/him.

life really is never easy is it?!