PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Use Multiple DME's?

Ainsley's Mom
05-01-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm curious if there are people out there ordering their monthly supplies from multiple companies? If so does it cause any problems with insurance or in general? I'm not happy with my choices of suction catheters (Medline sleeved catheters or no sleeved catheters) but am othewise happy with my DME and am considering ordering the sx supplies elsewhere.

Ann
05-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes, I use one for all the vent supplies (Apria) and a different one (local co) for enteral. However, the reason we have a different DME for enteral is because private insurance won't pay for Jack's Pediasure, therefore, I use the Medicaid approved DME for enteral supplies. At one point, I was using a third company (Byram Medical) to get Jack's trach ties because Apria won't give me Dale. However, we switched insurance and Byram isn't a provider for Aetna, so no more Dale trach ties for the time being. (I'm going back to UHC next year because I'm not all that pleased with Aetna and then I can get my Dale trach ties again).

I think as long as your private insurance is an approved provider for a DME, you can use as many companies as you want. If you have Medicaid as your secondary, you might run into a problem with the DME not wanting to bill Medicaid for you.

bryantem
05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
I was having the same question because I am not a fan of the SXN kits I get either. I get Kendall kits, but I like the Cardinal Health kits because the Kendall catheters are tinted and I can't see the secretions very well. Also, I can't stand the pediducks for Addisyn and I want Neotech trach ties. Maybe I will call around today.
________
Mazda 929 history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_929)

Kaylie
05-01-2009, 04:26 PM
i think i mentioned before in a post a while back that we have several DMEs , we have one for feeding supplies,and two other companies for all the other supplies. one of the reasons i have two is because of a situation that happened to us a few years back when one of the companies that we had just stopped delivering supplies , they pretty muched vanished of the face of the earth, but continued to charge our insurance for rental equipment for several years after even tho most of the equipment had been paid of by the insurance,(thats a whole nother post) also like ann said you cant always get what u need from only one company. i never rely on one company for anything, u just never know what could happen to any of them. i think its so wise to have 2..

bryantem
05-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Well, apparantly Apria will only supply supplies if we get the suction equipment from them. This is a pain in the rear.
________
Top penny stocks (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

LittleBee
05-01-2009, 05:11 PM
We have 2 - one for trach stuff and another for port and enteral supplies. For all 3 things we have gone with the DME recommended by the hospital at the time we got them. Both companies take our insurance and medicaid (our secondary) and I can actually order whatever I want to from either company (as long as I am not double ordering, I am sure). The trach one is run by an RT and the port/enteral one has nurses on staff for training and questions. I am very happy with our situation, and feel lucky that we have so much choice.

KJKK8437
05-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I was having the same question because I am not a fan of the SXN kits I get either. I get Kendall kits, but I like the Cardinal Health kits because the Kendall catheters are tinted and I can't see the secretions very well. Also, I can't stand the pediducks for Addisyn and I want Neotech trach ties. Maybe I will call around today.

Oh, now I feel cheated. My DME was always trustworthy, but early on they told us that Kendall had been discontinued and they switched us to Bard. They way they phrased it, I was certain they meant Kendall stopped making the kits. Man, I liked the Kendall so much better than the Bard stuff. Yeesh. Gullible me.

Kaylie
05-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Oh, now I feel cheated. My DME was always trustworthy, but early on they told us that Kendall had been discontinued and they switched us to Bard. They way they phrased it, I was certain they meant Kendall stopped making the kits. Man, I liked the Kendall so much better than the Bard stuff. Yeesh. Gullible me.

hey Karin,
we have found thru out the years that when a DME doesnt make good profit from a piece of supply then they say whatever sounds good, obviously thinking you will not know any better.what i know is if they do not get a good reimbersement rate they will say they cant get it anymore the company stopped making it, or oh r you sure you have always gotten that from us, i cant find that order number in our list, and the things just go on and on. something i have found out is this, just because someone is nice, polite and willing to try and get all that u need, doesnt mean u can trust them all. Most DMES can get away with alot, they r not regulated to all rules.

drct1245
05-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Our DME got bought out. So now we got 2 DMEs - one for the O2 and another for the enteral. I think finally are getting my insurance straightened out... so... so far it's been fine. lol I don't like it b/c it's 2 people I gotta remember to call and talk to. :(

Niff
05-02-2009, 07:21 AM
We were going to use one DME for respiratory issues and another DME for feeding, but discovered that our DME could cover the pump we wanted anyway. I *think* that in order for you to get suction supplies from one DME, you have to get your machine from them as well (if you're still renting)?

Ainsley's Mom
05-02-2009, 12:57 PM

Thank you. I'm glad it's not just me that's picky. We were using Cardinal catheters which I loved (aside from having to insert the cath back in the package for reuse) until I found out there are sleeved catheters. I want the Cardinal ones but my DME only will supply Medline and they put white tape over the trap so you can't see the secretions. I've got another trach member sending me some of the Cardinal sleeved catheters so I can see if it's worth the trouble of tracking them down.

Ainsley's Mom
05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
We were going to use one DME for respiratory issues and another DME for feeding, but discovered that our DME could cover the pump we wanted anyway. I *think* that in order for you to get suction supplies from one DME, you have to get your machine from them as well (if you're still renting)?

Hmm. Should be interesting. Both our machines are bought out. And I'm afraid that a company won't bother with us for just sx caths. But I'm going to try.

Kaylie
05-02-2009, 01:08 PM

we get suctions caths from another supplier who does not supply us with our suction machines, that seems kinda strange

bradensmom
05-02-2009, 04:52 PM
We use two different DME companies... I use one for respiratory equipment. I use another for feeding supplies.
Amy

scm
05-04-2009, 08:50 AM
can you have Ainsley's doctor write a script for the exact catheter you want?