PDA

View Full Version : Lung growth question

JWorthington
04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Does anyone know when children's lungs stop growing?? I always thought it was 18 years, but the doctor who saw Sam today said they stop growing at 6 - which Sam is now. I'm confused as they have told me his lung damage is permanent and will always be a problem and could get worse if he gets sick. If his lungs aren't going to grow anymore what will this mean. Hope you health professionals out there have some idea...
Julie x:confused:

kshell
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
While Natalie does have some subglottic stenosis, the primary reason for her trach is her terrible lung disease. We were told that a child's lungs grow up until around 8 years old. The damaged lung tissue will never heal, but the theory is that as she grows the new lung tissue that grows is healthy, undamaged by the high vent settings. They are most happy when she grows in length, not just weight. She will always be more at risk for lung infections and will always have asthma/reactive airway disease.

I know Sam is off O2 and our pulm states that is a good sign of the growth of healthy lung tissue. Not sure if this helps you at all but wanted to share what I was told.

Karen

Alethia
04-28-2009, 02:51 PM
We were told 8 years old as well - particularly important for us to know re Angus and chest expansion surgery. Thereafter the lungs merely expand rather than grow new bits and bobs.

ericnrosesmom
04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Our pulmo said 7 I think.

Niff
04-28-2009, 10:00 PM
We were actually told 2yrs was when it stopped producing new tissue. We were also told that the lungs don't repair, but the damage is lessened as new tissue grows

drct1245
04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
We too were told 8, like Karen, the tissue just grows over the old tissue.

bryantem
04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Our pulmonologist said 8 years old, as well as out neonatologist.
________
Cannabis Seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

JWorthington
04-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks everyone, think I get it now - they will expand, but not grow anymore new bits. Looks like I have to declare a lung condition on our travel insurance then. we have decided to venture across the water to France and travel insurance is pretty pricy for someone with lung disease!

bryantem
04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
This is what our pulm explanined. By 2 years old, the lungs will douple in size, so a child with 20% lung damage will now have 10%. I believe he said by 4 or 5 or so, the lungs double again, changing the damage from 10-5%. By 8 years old, the lungs have doubled in size 3 times and will only have 2.5% lung damage. I am not sure on the exact ages other than 8 years old, but I know they will double in size 3 times until then.
________
INTREPID ESX (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_Intrepid_ESX)

cherienz
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
yep, we were told to wait to 7 years when the lungs have mostly developed before considering decan and surgery.
Cherie

FightingForFaith
04-29-2009, 10:47 PM
LOL...we were told age 6. I guess you could just average it all out and you'd probably get something like 7.3. ;)

Our Pulm says that new aveolis grow and tissue is added upto 7 years of age.After that the same aveolis grow in size till the body matures no new aveolies are added.